Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Financial Support During Ausbuilding?

Family Law Discussion Forum

Postby Faegan » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:21 pm

Hello, My husband(German) and I(US) are currently in the Trennungsphase.  We have been married for 11 years.  The divorce is uncontested from both sides and we are still friends, and hopefully will remain so.  We have no children.  He has paid Trennungsunterhalt since our separation and will do so until we divorce.  

My question is this:  Being that I am just starting an Ausbuildung and for the next 3 years will earn significantly less than I need to live on, do I need to request support from him? Or does current German law require no support from him on my behalf after we are divorced? If not required, am I correct in assuming that I will need to apply for Sozialhilfe ahead of our divorce becoming final so that my living expenses remain covered?  

My husband is under the impression that he will need to pay throughout my schooling but I have heard differently from others. Any facts you can give me will be appreciated. I am just trying to form a realistic view of how this will all work out.  Thank you.
Faegan

Postby Alikkees » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:39 am

Dear Sienna,

According to German law your husband is obligated to pay alimony if you are not able to support yourself during your Ausbildung. The amount you earn will be subtracted from the alimony amount. You can contact me at [email protected] if you need further advice and my partner in Munich and I would be glad to represent you in your divorce to make sure that you receive everything you are entitled to.

Sincerely,

Carolin Burgess  
Alikkees

Postby edin » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:44 pm

Hello, My husband(German) and I(US) are currently in the Trennungsphase.  We have been married for 11 years.  The divorce is uncontested from both sides and we are still friends, and hopefully will remain so.  We have no children.  He has paid Trennungsunterhalt since our separation and will do so until we divorce.  

My question is this:  Being that I am just starting an Ausbuildung and for the next 3 years will earn significantly less than I need to live on, do I need to request support from him? Or does current German law require no support from him on my behalf after we are divorced? If not required, am I correct in assuming that I will need to apply for Sozialhilfe ahead of our divorce becoming final so that my living expenses remain covered?  

My husband is under the impression that he will need to pay throughout my schooling but I have heard differently from others. Any facts you can give me will be appreciated. I am just trying to form a realistic view of how this will all work out.  Thank you.
edin

Return to Family Law