Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Female Bounty Hunters In The Old West?

Family Law Discussion Forum

Postby Akiba » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:35 pm

hi, i am writing a short story on the post civil war old west.  i can't seem to find much info on bounty hunters, i think because their names were protected.

were women able to collect on a reward/bounty, much less be a bounty hunter? that is the BIG question.  

did bounty hunters carry a special license, were they sworn in or could anybody just up and decide they were a bounty hunter?  i am basing my story off the first ten years after the close of civil war, from Missouri up through Indian territory to Mexico.  i am trying to find anything, and strangely striking out on bounty hunters in that time frame period.  

HELP!
Akiba

Postby Jonnie » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:58 pm

hi, i am writing a short story on the post civil war old west.  i can't seem to find much info on bounty hunters, i think because their names were protected.

were women able to collect on a reward/bounty, much less be a bounty hunter? that is the BIG question.  

did bounty hunters carry a special license, were they sworn in or could anybody just up and decide they were a bounty hunter?  i am basing my story off the first ten years after the close of civil war, from Missouri up through Indian territory to Mexico.  i am trying to find anything, and strangely striking out on bounty hunters in that time frame period.  

HELP!
Jonnie

Postby Osmar » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:08 pm

Dear M. Ferrell:

I am an expert on women's rights and women's history but regret that I do not know anything about bounty hunters in the Old West or whether there were women bounty hunters at that time.  The only comprehensive article I found on google on bounty hunters was a Wikipedia article at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bounty_hunter but I don't see that it discusses women bounty hunters in the Old West.

I'd suggest you do research in a good library to see if you can find information on what you seek.

Best regards,

Sonia

Sonia Pressman Fuentes

Osmar

Return to Family Law