Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Research Law Professors Before Choosing Law Schools

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Failure to yield right of way ticket, Fighting in court any advice?

Been involved in a traffic accident? Discuss traffic laws here

Postby chavivi » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:02 pm

About a month ago I received a Failure to yield right of way ticket. I need to fight this ticket because I am 17 years old and can't afford higher insurance rates, let alone the ticket.
I thought this ticket was false because I see people (Including cops) do what i did every day. In the picture included below I am the red line. I am traveling into the far right lane to turn onto the main road. I see that traffic is JUST starting forward (They are at the green line)and moving far to slow for me to effect them. The cop who is the blue blob is waiting behind one or two cars. Then all of a sudden he turns on his lights and pulls me over....
I do not see how this ticket can stand in court with the given intersection. I have a turn lane for gaining speed... What do you think about this ticket? What are my chances in court?

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
http://i.imgur.com/RZjsP.jpg
chavivi

Postby adusa37 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:08 pm

About a month ago I received a Failure to yield right of way ticket. I need to fight this ticket because I am 17 years old and can't afford higher insurance rates, let alone the ticket.
I thought this ticket was false because I see people (Including cops) do what i did every day. In the picture included below I am the red line. I am traveling into the far right lane to turn onto the main road. I see that traffic is JUST starting forward (They are at the green line)and moving far to slow for me to effect them. The cop who is the blue blob is waiting behind one or two cars. Then all of a sudden he turns on his lights and pulls me over....
I do not see how this ticket can stand in court with the given intersection. I have a turn lane for gaining speed... What do you think about this ticket? What are my chances in court?

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
http://i.imgur.com/RZjsP.jpg
Fight the ticket. If nobody had to lock up their brakes, you didn't fail to yield the right of way.

Take my advice, fight every ticket you get. The people who tell you that you don't have a chance don't know what they are talking about. I've fought every ticket I ever got, and every one has either been dismissed or dropped to a non-moving violation.

"Yield doesn't mean I have to stop so How am I in the wrong here?"

You aren't wrong here. Unless somebody had to slow down to avoid you, you didn't fail to yield the right of way.
_______________________________________…

Here is an example of the moronity.

"3. Do you have a tape of your infracton? If not, reconstructing it to fit your own explanation is not going to help you."

As if your testimony as to what happened means nothing in court. WHAT A LOAD. If that was true no traffic ticket would be overturned without video evidence.

Don't look for legal advice in this forum. You would be better off asking people in a freaking bowling alley.

_______________________________________…

" the traffic with the green light is considered to be "oncoming traffic", thereby barring your right turn on red attempt."

If this was the case he would have gotten an illegal turn on red infraction. Failure to yield the right of way implies that the drive was required to yield and didn't. The was he tells the story he had the jump on everybody who had the green light. The failure to yield offence is generally given to people who cause an accident while merging.
adusa37

Postby golding » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:17 pm

Guess you already knew what you wanted to hear. Moron wasting the time of good people.
golding

Postby jamilah38 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:28 pm

MO_RON
jamilah38

Postby chiram97 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:44 pm

Wrong answer is wrong.
chiram97

Postby curran » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:48 pm

Wrong answer is wrong.
I can guess why you are not keeping your promise to tell us how it went. You're in jail.
curran

Postby tripp » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:57 pm

Wrong answer is wrong.
I can guess why you are not keeping your promise to tell us how it went. You're in jail.
1. The fact that you are 17 and can't afford the ticket has nothing to do with your guilt or innocense.
2. Just because everyone else is doing it doesn't mean that you didn't do anything wrong. You got the ticket. Live with it .
3. Do you have a tape of your infracton? If not, reconstructing it to fit your own explanation is not going to help you.
4. Pray that the cop doesn't show up in court.

Good luck
tripp

Postby hawiovi » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:05 pm

Since this is your first and only driving infraction (right?) you should be offered the option of taking a defensive driving course. You will have to pay the court costs, but this will keep it off your record.

You don't stand much of a chance of defending it. The police's testimony will carry more weight than yours in a situation where there is a lot of gray area like this. And the fact that many people have done it before without being ticketed is never a defense.
hawiovi

Postby mace » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:10 pm

You're 100% guilty and the cop was 100% right in pulling you over and if you go to court all that is going to happen is you're STILL going to get the ticket, you're STILL going to have your insurance go up AND you'll have to pay your court costs.
mace

Postby taryn31 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:16 pm

Pay the ticket, and learn a very important lesson.

The next time you violate a right of way, there may be a fatality involved, not just a ticket
taryn31

Next

Return to Traffic Law