Welcome to Law-Forums.org!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Failure To Diagnose The Cause Of Infection

Been the victim of Legal Malpractice? Discuss it here.

Postby Leary » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:06 am

Subject: Failure to diagnose the cause of infection, Medical Negligence, Surgical Errors

I delivered my second baby vaginally in the Minneapolis Hospital on 30th Nov 2010. My first baby was also delivered normally in 14th Jan 2007. During my delivery on 30th Nov 2010, the retains of conception(Placenta Part) was left inside the Uterus during the delivery.

On 18th Dec 2010

I had heavy bleeding and fevers up to 104 with chills. The Ambulance was called in, and I was taken to Emergency in same hospital and admitted. The Physician in the ED performed Ultra Sound and reported as possibly containing retained placental tissue in the Uterus.  In the Ultrasound it was noted that a heterogeneous endometrial stripe up to 3 cm. On ED Floor Gentamicin and Clindamycin were given which made my temperature stable. The OB/Gyn was consulted due to concern for retained Placenta. However their interpretation of the formal pelvic Ultra sound was that  it was likely Endometritis rather than retained tissue. My temperature and fever were normal. I was discharged on Dec 20, 2010 with no need for oral antibiotics. The source of infection could not be treated.

On 29 Dec 2010 I was again suffering from the fever up to 104 with chills. I was admitted to the Emergency in the same Hospital. Ultra sound on 12/29 revealed 3.2cm stripe with hyper vascularity. This time, The same OB/Gyn determined that there are retains of conception in the uterus and they told me that they have to evacuate the Uterus by D&C. Written consent was obtained from me. I was taken told that procedure will be carried out by very experienced Surgeon called Dr. `ABC. I was taken in the Operation room at 10:30 AM.

I was made to go into sleep during the operation. This procedure turned out to be 7 hour major surgery. I came to know that surgery was performed by the 4th Year Resident under the supervision of the Dr. ABC. The piece of placenta which was left inside was calcified and was rock solid. It was extremely difficult to remove by D&C. During D&C they found that Uterus was very boggy and atonic which is evidence of endomyometritis. During D&C my Uterus was perforated from 4 places. •   2 Small perforations in the fundus posteriorly

•   1 small anterior corneal perforation near the right fallopian tube

•   1 Large transverse, 4-5 cm anterior myometrial perforation, extending from the fundus to the superior portion of the lower uterine segment.

Then the C-section was performed. Bowel exploration by General Surgery doctors reveal a small injury to one epiploica on the sigmoid column. It was approximately 1 x 2 cm avulsion of fat adjacent to the mensentry. That was not serosal injuries and repair was not recommended by surgery.

At the end of the procedure, the uterine perforations had been repaired and were hemostatic.  

Now the architecture of my Uterus is not original. I have been told by the surgeon, that It will be good for me if I do not have any future babies. It will be very risky to have future babies because my Uterus is very week.   

I am still recovering physically and emotionally from what has happened to me. I have been told that this has happened due to negligence and is undoable. Somebody should be accountable for this. I would like to know that how successful I would be If I file a lawsuit against the OB/Gyn who failed to diagnose the root cause of my infection which caused my Uterus to remain infected for 1 month after delivery?  While my uterus was fully infected in one month and the surgeon perforated my uterus from 4 places. What is your recommendation.
Leary

Postby Matunaagd » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:03 am

Subject: Failure to diagnose the cause of infection, Medical Negligence, Surgical Errors

I delivered my second baby vaginally in the Minneapolis Hospital on 30th Nov 2010. My first baby was also delivered normally in 14th Jan 2007. During my delivery on 30th Nov 2010, the retains of conception(Placenta Part) was left inside the Uterus during the delivery.

On 18th Dec 2010

I had heavy bleeding and fevers up to 104 with chills. The Ambulance was called in, and I was taken to Emergency in same hospital and admitted. The Physician in the ED performed Ultra Sound and reported as possibly containing retained placental tissue in the Uterus.  In the Ultrasound it was noted that a heterogeneous endometrial stripe up to 3 cm. On ED Floor Gentamicin and Clindamycin were given which made my temperature stable. The OB/Gyn was consulted due to concern for retained Placenta. However their interpretation of the formal pelvic Ultra sound was that  it was likely Endometritis rather than retained tissue. My temperature and fever were normal. I was discharged on Dec 20, 2010 with no need for oral antibiotics. The source of infection could not be treated.

On 29 Dec 2010 I was again suffering from the fever up to 104 with chills. I was admitted to the Emergency in the same Hospital. Ultra sound on 12/29 revealed 3.2cm stripe with hyper vascularity. This time, The same OB/Gyn determined that there are retains of conception in the uterus and they told me that they have to evacuate the Uterus by D&C. Written consent was obtained from me. I was taken told that procedure will be carried out by very experienced Surgeon called Dr. `ABC. I was taken in the Operation room at 10:30 AM.

I was made to go into sleep during the operation. This procedure turned out to be 7 hour major surgery. I came to know that surgery was performed by the 4th Year Resident under the supervision of the Dr. ABC. The piece of placenta which was left inside was calcified and was rock solid. It was extremely difficult to remove by D&C. During D&C they found that Uterus was very boggy and atonic which is evidence of endomyometritis. During D&C my Uterus was perforated from 4 places. •   2 Small perforations in the fundus posteriorly

•   1 small anterior corneal perforation near the right fallopian tube

•   1 Large transverse, 4-5 cm anterior myometrial perforation, extending from the fundus to the superior portion of the lower uterine segment.

Then the C-section was performed. Bowel exploration by General Surgery doctors reveal a small injury to one epiploica on the sigmoid column. It was approximately 1 x 2 cm avulsion of fat adjacent to the mensentry. That was not serosal injuries and repair was not recommended by surgery.

At the end of the procedure, the uterine perforations had been repaired and were hemostatic.  

Now the architecture of my Uterus is not original. I have been told by the surgeon, that It will be good for me if I do not have any future babies. It will be very risky to have future babies because my Uterus is very week.   

I am still recovering physically and emotionally from what has happened to me. I have been told that this has happened due to negligence and is undoable. Somebody should be accountable for this. I would like to know that how successful I would be If I file a lawsuit against the OB/Gyn who failed to diagnose the root cause of my infection which caused my Uterus to remain infected for 1 month after delivery?  While my uterus was fully infected in one month and the surgeon perforated my uterus from 4 places. What is your recommendation.
Matunaagd

Postby calin » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:28 pm

Please understand that I am a lawyer, not an OB/GYN and I have never been to medical school. I do have long experience with IUD cases and know something about basic ob/gyn issues but I have no idea what happened in your case.  Products of conception or retained placenta are common. It sounds like you had very attentive medical care. The hospital and doctors do not have the duty to guarantee a perfect outcome to every child birth. Complications happens.   Who exactly told you you had these complications "due to negligence"?  I bet it wasn't an OB/GYN.  What are your damages anyhow?  A "weak" uterus? What does that mean exactly? Are you infertile now? I don't think so.  What exactly was the negligence? Perforating the uterus in four places? Maybe the choice was, cause damage and perforation to the uterus to remove the infection or, just remove the whole damn thing(hysterectomy).  Sounds to me that that you had lots of doctors doing their best to save your health and your fertility. My recommendation is, contact some local medical malpractrice law firms in your city.  Some will reject you out of hand. Others will say, "oh, that sounds like a great case, but unfortunately we are too busy". Of course, such a response is BS. They don't see a case but won't admit it to you. A med mal case requires very eggregrious and obvious negligence and major damages, where the case is worth into the high 6 figures. Your case has minimal damages as far as we know. You may have suffered no damages at all except for your upset about it.  I understand that but it doesn't translate. It is not a viable case. You should send a thankyou note to your doctors for curing your infection, restoring your health, and saving your uterus. Sorry. Based on the facts you present, that is how I see it. This from a lawyer who makes a living suing doctors for causing real damage.
calin

Return to Legal Malpractice