Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Ex-girlfriend Accessed My Yahoo Email Without Authorization

Criminal Law Discussion Forum

Postby DavidBeckham » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:02 pm

Hi Chris,

I was using my Yahoo e-mail on my ex-girlfriend's laptop.  I must not have logged out and she went into my Yahoo e-mail account and forwarded three emails between myself and a coworker(it was the coworker's Gmail account; not a work e-mail) to my boss.  This has resulted in:

1. My being offered a demotion and $10,000 loss in income

2. My coworker being demoted and losing about $5,000 in income

Both of us are refusing to accept the demotions so we'll almost certainly be fired.  I have a few questions:

1. Is what my ex-girlfriend did illegal?  We live in New York City.

2. Are there any civil actions I can take for both the employer and my ex-girlfriend?

Thanks in advance
DavidBeckham

Postby Jacques » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:23 am

Hi Chris,

I was using my Yahoo e-mail on my ex-girlfriend's laptop.  I must not have logged out and she went into my Yahoo e-mail account and forwarded three emails between myself and a coworker(it was the coworker's Gmail account; not a work e-mail) to my boss.  This has resulted in:

1. My being offered a demotion and $10,000 loss in income

2. My coworker being demoted and losing about $5,000 in income

Both of us are refusing to accept the demotions so we'll almost certainly be fired.  I have a few questions:

1. Is what my ex-girlfriend did illegal?  We live in New York City.

2. Are there any civil actions I can take for both the employer and my ex-girlfriend?

Thanks in advance
Jacques

Postby Baillie » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:26 pm

Hi Tim,

ANYONE accessing anothers Internet account, e-mail or otherwise, is illegal. Call the police and report a computer crime, unauthorized accesses to a computer account.

New York Law:

Code Section Penal Code 156.00, et seq. Mental State Required for Prosecution Knowingly; intentionally Misdemeanor Computer Crimes Unauthorized use of computer is a class A misdemeanor; computer tampering in fourth degree is a class A misdemeanor Felony Computer Crimes Computer tampering in third degree is a class E felony; computer tampering in second degree is a class D felony; computer tampering in first degree is a class C felony; unlawful duplication of computer related material is a class E felony; criminal possession of computer related material is a class E felony Attempt Considered a Crime? Yes So call the police and report it. Be safe, never use anyone elses computer to access your accounts as you don't know what kind of monitoring software they may have running on it.  
Baillie

Return to Criminal Law