Welcome to Law-Forums.org!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Emergency Room Care

Been the victim of Medical Malpractice or fighting a malpractice suit? Discuss it here.

Emergency Room Care

Postby Bramm » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:46 am

I went via ambulance to the emergency room. I was severely dizzy, shaking, flushed.I belived I had a panic attack. I had seen my Primary care phsyician that morning who ordered blood work, neurologist and holter monitor.I told the doctor this. The dizziness was so bad that I almost vomited in CT. I have a history of panic attacks but I knew that at least most of what I was feeling was NOT panic attack. The ER doctor asked my symptoms and said there is a simple explanation for this probably. I got a head and sinus CT scan. The scan showed a low grade chronic sinus infection.I told her I didnt feel sick in that way at all.She gave me an antibiotic. I told her I felt no better than when I came in and was still dizzy.No blood was drawn and no other test done.The nurse at the time told me my doctor probably ordered the holter monitor because they dont know what is wrong and they are grasping at straws. The discharge paper said probable sinusitis.I told her I still couldnt walk well and didnt have a ride but I would call one. I was discharged and struggled outside to a bench. A couple hours later the dizziness was much worse and I called the insurance companies nurse help line who suggested that I go back to the ER. I didnt because the doctor told me there was nothing she could do and it was probably my sinus and panic attack. Now 3 weeks later I still have dizziness. I went and got blood work last week.I have to go in monday because it showed my thyroid was elevated and there are some 'other issues to discuss'. Was the ER negligent in not ordering blood work which would have showed the same thing and possibly explained what was happening? Can they discharge a patient with no 'caretaker' for lack of a better word when the patient tells them they are still uneasy and rideless?  
Bramm

Emergency Room Care

Postby Nathan » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:48 pm

I went via ambulance to the emergency room. I was severely dizzy, shaking, flushed.I belived I had a panic attack. I had seen my Primary care phsyician that morning who ordered blood work, neurologist and holter monitor.I told the doctor this. The dizziness was so bad that I almost vomited in CT. I have a history of panic attacks but I knew that at least most of what I was feeling was NOT panic attack. The ER doctor asked my symptoms and said there is a simple explanation for this probably. I got a head and sinus CT scan. The scan showed a low grade chronic sinus infection.I told her I didnt feel sick in that way at all.She gave me an antibiotic. I told her I felt no better than when I came in and was still dizzy.No blood was drawn and no other test done.The nurse at the time told me my doctor probably ordered the holter monitor because they dont know what is wrong and they are grasping at straws. The discharge paper said probable sinusitis.I told her I still couldnt walk well and didnt have a ride but I would call one. I was discharged and struggled outside to a bench. A couple hours later the dizziness was much worse and I called the insurance companies nurse help line who suggested that I go back to the ER. I didnt because the doctor told me there was nothing she could do and it was probably my sinus and panic attack. Now 3 weeks later I still have dizziness. I went and got blood work last week.I have to go in monday because it showed my thyroid was elevated and there are some 'other issues to discuss'. Was the ER negligent in not ordering blood work which would have showed the same thing and possibly explained what was happening? Can they discharge a patient with no 'caretaker' for lack of a better word when the patient tells them they are still uneasy and rideless?  
Nathan

Emergency Room Care

Postby mace » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:47 am

No doubt your ER experience was inadequate. However you do not have a good malpractice case for several reasons. First, so far you have not shown a money or earnings loss great enough to interest a lawyer. All a lawyer can sue for is MONEY. If he can not make a little for you and a little for himself, the cost of working a malpractice case is far too much to warrant his taking a chance on it.

You do not give enougn information about your prior state of health.  Your history of prior panic attacks needs to be clarified. Any lawyer you talk to will shy away from a vague history of mental illness. Try to get your facts on paper, in chronologic order with the names of doctors, dates, and whatever hard information you can.

Your primary physician is the one you should consult. If he feels you need further work-up(and he appears to if he recommended a neurologist), he may have some comments about your ER visit. But do not be surprised if he supports the ER doctor. Sinus infections can cause the symptoms you describe. You say the ER doctor gave you antibiotics but "they didn't do anything". Antibiotics take time to act. Sinus infections are often in areas where the blood supply is low and so antibiotics do not reach the infection for some time, and only until blood levcels of the antibiotic become high enough will the medicine finally start to work.

If you are stil troubled, do as your primary suggested and see either a neurologist or an ear, nose and throat doctor.
mace

Return to Medical Malpractice