Welcome to Law-Forums.org!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Ectopic Pregnancy

Been the victim of Medical Malpractice or fighting a malpractice suit? Discuss it here.

Ectopic Pregnancy

Postby Wakler » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:05 pm

My wife was recently pregnant and we thought she had miscarried.  In December she had vaginal bleeding and scheduled an opt with her ob gyn.  At that time he took a urine test and done an ultra sound.  Her test came back positive but he seen nothing in the uterus and told her it looked like she was in the process of miscarrying the fetus.  He then had her schedule another opt to do a blood test I believe 3 days later.

She went and had the her blood test and he called later that day and told her there is a chance she has an eptopic pregnancy.  He scheduled her for another blood test and she still showed the hormone but it had dropped. He didn't do an ultrasound and scheduled another opt in  10 days.  

On the 10th day at 4:00am my wife passed out numerous times and was in the most pain I have ever seen anybody in in my life.  I dialed 911 and long story short her left fallopian tube had ruptured. The thing that bothers me about this is when he suspected an eptopic pregnancy he never done an ultrasound to see what was going on.  From what I have read she had all the signs.  The bleeding, the hormone, cramps. Another thing that bothers me is he scheduled her last opt for 10 days down the road when it should have been, correct me if I'm wrong within 48 to 72 hours.  

My wife is 30.  We do want more children and it seems to be difficult for her to get pregnant as is, and if she does get pregnant she seems to by likely to miscarry.  

I would just like to know if the doctor was negligent, and if there is anything I should do? Thank you.

ANSWER: Greg: I have some background in this subject of ectopic pregnancies. I agree with you that if one is suspected, you shouldn't wait 10 days to see what happens. If, Godforbid, during that 10 days the tube ruptured and your wife bled out and didn't survive it, that would be a HUGE medical malpractice case. Fortunately, that didn't happen. But there is no malpractice case to pursue even though the doctor probably did commit malpractice. Why? Because there are little in the way of damages and a malpractice case needs massive damages to make it worth pursuing. Here is why. Even if on day 1 of the ten days the doc determined that there was an ectopic and he operated on that day, it would still require the destruction of that tube or at least destruction of the ability of that tube to work as intended. So, whether the tube ruptured or was cut open by the surgeon, the result is the same. The tube is no longer functional. But the good news is, she has another tube!  So, hopefully, no harm done.  Best of luck

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

From what I have read there is a drug called methotrexate that could have dissolved the fertilized egg and allowed her body to reabsorb it, thus saving the fallopian tube.  (no surgery required)  the loss of the fallopian tube is a huge loss for my wife.  I appreciate your response.
Wakler

Ectopic Pregnancy

Postby Leman » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:11 pm

I read a little about methotrexate and see that it is in some places used to treat ectopic preganancy but not approved by the FDA for such use so such use would be called "off label". But isnt' it your story that the ectopic was not even diagnosed until the tube had ruptured? Therefore it would have been too late to treat the problem medically as opposed to surgically. The tube was already ruptured and irreparably damaged, correct?  So, if there was any case here, it would be one of "failure to diagnose", not incorrect treatment. But there still would be no case for reasons stated in my first reply. But going back to the metho issue, still definitely nothing to base a malpractice case upon.  The drug is not officially approved for the purpose, it has serious side effects, and I am sure that the majority of ob/gyns, while aware of its off label use, would never consider it for ectopic treatment.  Any malpractice case must establish that the doctor did something "below the standard of care" and using metho is NOT, the standard of care, so.........failure to use it not BELOW the standard of care.  Don't worry so much. Pregnancy occurs in one tube or the other. So, you probably just have to work twice as hard to get another pregnancy, that's all.
Leman

Ectopic Pregnancy

Postby Eliezer » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:24 pm

My wife was recently pregnant and we thought she had miscarried.  In December she had vaginal bleeding and scheduled an opt with her ob gyn.  At that time he took a urine test and done an ultra sound.  Her test came back positive but he seen nothing in the uterus and told her it looked like she was in the process of miscarrying the fetus.  He then had her schedule another opt to do a blood test I believe 3 days later.

She went and had the her blood test and he called later that day and told her there is a chance she has an eptopic pregnancy.  He scheduled her for another blood test and she still showed the hormone but it had dropped. He didn't do an ultrasound and scheduled another opt in  10 days.  

On the 10th day at 4:00am my wife passed out numerous times and was in the most pain I have ever seen anybody in in my life.  I dialed 911 and long story short her left fallopian tube had ruptured. The thing that bothers me about this is when he suspected an eptopic pregnancy he never done an ultrasound to see what was going on.  From what I have read she had all the signs.  The bleeding, the hormone, cramps. Another thing that bothers me is he scheduled her last opt for 10 days down the road when it should have been, correct me if I'm wrong within 48 to 72 hours.  

My wife is 30.  We do want more children and it seems to be difficult for her to get pregnant as is, and if she does get pregnant she seems to by likely to miscarry.  

I would just like to know if the doctor was negligent, and if there is anything I should do? Thank you.

ANSWER: Greg: I have some background in this subject of ectopic pregnancies. I agree with you that if one is suspected, you shouldn't wait 10 days to see what happens. If, Godforbid, during that 10 days the tube ruptured and your wife bled out and didn't survive it, that would be a HUGE medical malpractice case. Fortunately, that didn't happen. But there is no malpractice case to pursue even though the doctor probably did commit malpractice. Why? Because there are little in the way of damages and a malpractice case needs massive damages to make it worth pursuing. Here is why. Even if on day 1 of the ten days the doc determined that there was an ectopic and he operated on that day, it would still require the destruction of that tube or at least destruction of the ability of that tube to work as intended. So, whether the tube ruptured or was cut open by the surgeon, the result is the same. The tube is no longer functional. But the good news is, she has another tube!  So, hopefully, no harm done.  Best of luck

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

From what I have read there is a drug called methotrexate that could have dissolved the fertilized egg and allowed her body to reabsorb it, thus saving the fallopian tube.  (no surgery required)  the loss of the fallopian tube is a huge loss for my wife.  I appreciate your response.
Eliezer

Return to Medical Malpractice