Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Dual Military Bah - Reserve & Ad

Patents & Trademarks Discussion Forum

Postby Shain » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:54 am

Here's a confusing situation . . .

I am a Reserve officer.  My husband is AD enlisted.  We got married last summer in state A(before he enlisted).  I am currently on orders and receive BAH for my home of record, state B, although I am mobilized in state A.  My husband is at AIT and receives no BAH(his home of record is state C).  

He has orders to Korea, unaccompanied.  My orders will expire before he returns to Korea.  I plan to return to my home of record, state B, until he comes back to the states.

Is he authorized BAH while in AIT?  If so, for which state?

Which state will he receive BAH for while he's in Korea?  Will that change when I fall off of orders and return to my home of record?  
Shain

Postby Hamo » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:05 pm

Here's a confusing situation . . .

I am a Reserve officer.  My husband is AD enlisted.  We got married last summer in state A(before he enlisted).  I am currently on orders and receive BAH for my home of record, state B, although I am mobilized in state A.  My husband is at AIT and receives no BAH(his home of record is state C).  

He has orders to Korea, unaccompanied.  My orders will expire before he returns to Korea.  I plan to return to my home of record, state B, until he comes back to the states.

Is he authorized BAH while in AIT?  If so, for which state?

Which state will he receive BAH for while he's in Korea?  Will that change when I fall off of orders and return to my home of record?  
Hamo

Postby Hay » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:40 pm

Dear Eve --

While you are on orders and receiving BAH, and your husband is TDY enroute for training during a PCS move, he is not authorized BAH.

If you are still on active duty, while he is in Korea and living in the barracks, he will still not get BAH.  

However, if you come off active status, he should get BAH for the locale in which you reside, since he will be unaccompanied.  

Qualifying for BAH under this circumstance requires that you were married, prior to his receiving these PCS orders to Korea, and that you are registered in DEERS as his dependent.  Since you are currently both serving, you should really register as each others' dependents.

If you did not fill out a DD form 1172 to list each other as military family members(dependents), you should both do so now, and file them with your personnel assistance center along with a notarized copy of your marriage certificate. Once you come off active status, he will need to apply for BAH based on your new duty status and your city/state of residence.  He may be required to provide proof of where you are residing.  

You should also take measures to apply for joint domicile so that anytime you return to active duty, you can apply to be stationed where he is stationed. If you do get stationed together, you will either get family housing, or permission to live off-post.  If you do get permission to live off-post, you will each get the "without dependent" BAH rate for your given rank.

If you have children, one of you would get BAH at the "with dependent" rate, and the other the "without dependent" rate.

Please write back, if you have additional questions, or need any clarification.

Thank you both for your service.  
Hay

Return to Patents & Trademarks