Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Tips for Achieving an Amicable Divorce

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Does it piss you off when people at work do not respect your paid time off?

Family Law Discussion Forum

Postby kienan » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:10 am

I took 2 days paid time off the week of July 4th. I asked my boss for this time off in early June, and he said "oh yeah that's totally fine, I figured most people would take those days off". July 4 fell on a Wednesday, so we booked a flight out Tuesday night from Oakland. We were going to visit my wife's parents in Seattle.

On Tuesday the 3rd, I made it clear the project team (my boss is not involved with this particular project) that I have a 6:40 flight out, so I need to be out the door at 4:45 at the LATEST.

At 3:30 PM, a coworker came up to me with a document to review and do some data analysis on, and he said he was hoping I'd be done by the end of the week. He knew very well I was going to be away the rest of the week.

Just as I was leaving, another coworker came to me and asked me if we could talk about one of the next steps, and that it would only take a minute. It took 15. I left at 5:05, and just barely made the flight. My wife was all pissy that I care about work more than family, and she accused me of trying to miss the flight on purpose.

We got back on Sunday, and on Monday morning at 7:15 AM, I got a call on my cell from another coworker saying "Dan, where are you? you're supposed to be back in the office today." I said "Yes, I will be back today, but as you are aware, I do not come in until 8:45 or 9." He said "OK, well be here by 9." I said "OK, can I please go back to sleep now? thanks"

AT work, a couple people kept making snide remarks about "we're behind schedule because some people took lengthy vacations." and such. I hardly call 2 days a "lengthy" vacation, and I HARDLY call visiting the in-laws a "vacation" at all.

I am catching crap from both sides, and I am sick and tired of it. Is this normal in a work environment??? Anyone else have this problem!?
kienan

Postby chay » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:19 am

I took 2 days paid time off the week of July 4th. I asked my boss for this time off in early June, and he said "oh yeah that's totally fine, I figured most people would take those days off". July 4 fell on a Wednesday, so we booked a flight out Tuesday night from Oakland. We were going to visit my wife's parents in Seattle.

On Tuesday the 3rd, I made it clear the project team (my boss is not involved with this particular project) that I have a 6:40 flight out, so I need to be out the door at 4:45 at the LATEST.

At 3:30 PM, a coworker came up to me with a document to review and do some data analysis on, and he said he was hoping I'd be done by the end of the week. He knew very well I was going to be away the rest of the week.

Just as I was leaving, another coworker came to me and asked me if we could talk about one of the next steps, and that it would only take a minute. It took 15. I left at 5:05, and just barely made the flight. My wife was all pissy that I care about work more than family, and she accused me of trying to miss the flight on purpose.

We got back on Sunday, and on Monday morning at 7:15 AM, I got a call on my cell from another coworker saying "Dan, where are you? you're supposed to be back in the office today." I said "Yes, I will be back today, but as you are aware, I do not come in until 8:45 or 9." He said "OK, well be here by 9." I said "OK, can I please go back to sleep now? thanks"

AT work, a couple people kept making snide remarks about "we're behind schedule because some people took lengthy vacations." and such. I hardly call 2 days a "lengthy" vacation, and I HARDLY call visiting the in-laws a "vacation" at all.

I am catching crap from both sides, and I am sick and tired of it. Is this normal in a work environment??? Anyone else have this problem!?
Stop discussing your plans with others. Don't say anything. Just disappear when you have plans, or even a day earlier. If they question you when you return, make up some story for your absence. My mother was sick. My mother-in-law was sick. My father was sick. My sister was sick. I had to go to the doctor for yearly check-up etc etc.
Learn to talk about sports, news events, but never about your plans or personal life.
chay

Postby roche » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:21 am

Yea all the time, some people dont like to carry the can for someone else, even though that person is entitled to paid time off work, i personally would not answer the phone on my time off that is my family time, So they can go and take a hike.
roche

Postby aswynn81 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:35 am

Just do you job and ignore them They will get over it. The bigger deal you make of it will just make they keep on.
aswynn81

Return to Family Law