Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!  

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Does Alabama drug test every newborn at birth ?

Discussions relating to Drug Laws

Postby porter » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:56 pm

Just to clarify, Ive been 100% clean & organic my whole pregnancy, except this one time. Im 34 weeks pregnant & I did recently smoke pot, my back has been in intense sciatica pain for the past three days & so I smoked today to help with the pain because I dont believe in using synthetic medicine & didnt want to while I was pregnant. Im just wondering about what the laws are in Alabama about drug testing pregnant women when the go into labor & go into the hospital & the laws regarding drug testing newborns. Can the test me or my child without my consent? Will they test if the child is born completely healthy? How long could it show up in my babys system? I know there is a possibility it could be detected in my system for up to 35 days, but how long could it be detected in my babys system? I dont feel like Ive done something worthy of having my child taken away from me, Ive been so excited & looking forward to her arrival for so long that it would be heartbreaking to have it happen. If I had known at the time I smoked that there was a chance of losing her over it I wouldnt have done it. I felt like smoking one time wouldnt do any damage to her or me. I rarely ever smoked before my pregnancy & wasnt planning on smoking after her arrival & I dont want to have CPS try to take her from me. & should I be worried ab getting drug tested against my consent at my doctors appointments? I have one tomorrow.
porter

Postby gall » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:57 pm

Ignore the idiots on this thread posting these answers, they obviously have no clue what they are talking about, and just want to leave biased opinions just "cause".

There is NO FEDERAL law regarding this issue, so every state has their own laws. Now in Alabama I can not be 100% sure, but there have been instances in the news of women being arrested for child abuse for testing positive at birth. This is a violation of their rights. You are not allowed to be drug tested without your consent, nor is your baby. If they drug test you without YOUR consent AND report you to the police they are in violation of your 4th Amendment rights according to the Supreme Court which ruled on this matter in Charleston, SC. They CAN however, legally report you to Children's Services.

Now most CPS agencies aren't looking for potheads, pot has been proven many times in other countries not to have any lasting effects on babies when used during pregnancy and in fact has been proven to actually be helpful to the mother. The active ingredients in weed do NOT cross the placenta, the metabolites do, so your baby is not getting "high" when you are, they are just getting the crap that stays in your system, which in turn makes it stay in their system. A ton of people in THIS country will say otherwise, but the funny thing is, who are they to say so? They are so against pot they won't even test out the nonsense they are spewing, and all their facts are based on women's say so/admittance and most of those women were also using other drugs, tobacco, and alcohol while pregnant as well. There has been NO CONTROLLED STUDIES IN AMERICA ON THIS ISSUE.

Your best bet, is to deal with the pain as best you can, I also agree I'd much rather toke a few puffs than pop some advil while pregnant, but due to our government we can't so just don't smoke again. Drink lots of water, and stay healthy overall. You have 6 weeks or more to get clean if you don't smoke again, and the amount you smoked is so small you will most likely test negative in less than a week. Don't stress over what you can't change now, just make your next few weeks as easy and worry free as possible. If you only smoked that one time the whole time you will be fine and so will the baby. There are women who do much worse in pregnancy and their kids are all screwed up or disabled because of it and they get to keep their kids. If you do have to deal with CPS just lookup this site called fightcps.com for more info on how to deal with them.

I am glad I live in a state where they stay out of these matters. In NYC a fetus is not considered a person until it is born. If they arrested women for doing drugs while pregnant they'd have to do it to women who drink, women who get abortions, etc. (That's the states stance on the issue not my own but I do agree with their fairness for all) Women who test positive at birth have a chance to get clean before their children are removed, but ONLY if drugs are the only issue. -You don't have stuff for the baby, dirty house, no job, etc AND doing drugs they will take away the baby. CPS knows there are good parents out there who do stuff from time to time and are capable parents and there are parents who do NO drugs and are shitty *** parents.
gall

Postby emilek17 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:59 pm

Ignore the idiots on this thread posting these answers, they obviously have no clue what they are talking about, and just want to leave biased opinions just "cause".

There is NO FEDERAL law regarding this issue, so every state has their own laws. Now in Alabama I can not be 100% sure, but there have been instances in the news of women being arrested for child abuse for testing positive at birth. This is a violation of their rights. You are not allowed to be drug tested without your consent, nor is your baby. If they drug test you without YOUR consent AND report you to the police they are in violation of your 4th Amendment rights according to the Supreme Court which ruled on this matter in Charleston, SC. They CAN however, legally report you to Children's Services.

Now most CPS agencies aren't looking for potheads, pot has been proven many times in other countries not to have any lasting effects on babies when used during pregnancy and in fact has been proven to actually be helpful to the mother. The active ingredients in weed do NOT cross the placenta, the metabolites do, so your baby is not getting "high" when you are, they are just getting the crap that stays in your system, which in turn makes it stay in their system. A ton of people in THIS country will say otherwise, but the funny thing is, who are they to say so? They are so against pot they won't even test out the nonsense they are spewing, and all their facts are based on women's say so/admittance and most of those women were also using other drugs, tobacco, and alcohol while pregnant as well. There has been NO CONTROLLED STUDIES IN AMERICA ON THIS ISSUE.

Your best bet, is to deal with the pain as best you can, I also agree I'd much rather toke a few puffs than pop some advil while pregnant, but due to our government we can't so just don't smoke again. Drink lots of water, and stay healthy overall. You have 6 weeks or more to get clean if you don't smoke again, and the amount you smoked is so small you will most likely test negative in less than a week. Don't stress over what you can't change now, just make your next few weeks as easy and worry free as possible. If you only smoked that one time the whole time you will be fine and so will the baby. There are women who do much worse in pregnancy and their kids are all screwed up or disabled because of it and they get to keep their kids. If you do have to deal with CPS just lookup this site called fightcps.com for more info on how to deal with them.

I am glad I live in a state where they stay out of these matters. In NYC a fetus is not considered a person until it is born. If they arrested women for doing drugs while pregnant they'd have to do it to women who drink, women who get abortions, etc. (That's the states stance on the issue not my own but I do agree with their fairness for all) Women who test positive at birth have a chance to get clean before their children are removed, but ONLY if drugs are the only issue. -You don't have stuff for the baby, dirty house, no job, etc AND doing drugs they will take away the baby. CPS knows there are good parents out there who do stuff from time to time and are capable parents and there are parents who do NO drugs and are shitty *** parents.
Please contact Alabama Women's Resource Network (www.awrn.org) for more info on this subject. And don't let the uninformed people on this thread make you feel bad about consuming cannabis while pregnant. There are absolutely no facts to back up the assumption that cannabis is harmful to a fetus and there are actually a few studies that show the opposite.
emilek17

Postby mate » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:12 pm

There's an awful lot of crack-heads with custody of their kids. Just watch any COPS episode. I don't suggest pot for pain relief, esp if you are preggo, but who the hell am I? I don't think they'll take the baby away. Try getting a message next time.
mate

Postby aenedleah10 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:20 pm

There's no excuse to smoke pot while pregnant. They don't test the baby, but they test EVERY placenta. You may have just blown your chances of parenting this child.
aenedleah10

Postby seme22 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:22 pm

you didnt want to take synthetic medicine because you were pregnant but you smoked pot while your pregnant??
seme22

Postby hanan » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:25 pm

at a normal dr visit they cannot perform any tests without you consent,,, as to the baby they will only test if there are serious problems at birth
hanan

Postby celeste » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:30 pm

You're are idiot! You "don't believe in medication" so you smoke pot while your pregnant and put our child's well-being at risk!? Shame on you. I hope they take that child away from you...If it lives!
celeste

Postby arber47 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:31 pm

i know a solution
DON'T SOME POT, ITS ILLEGAL

problem solved :)
arber47

Postby jarel » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:34 pm

yes it is part of the blood work they do on all newborns.
jarel

Next

Return to Drug Laws