Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Tips for Achieving an Amicable Divorce

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Does a landlord have right to enter your property?

Discuss anything to do with property law - buying, selling property

Postby wethrby » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:02 pm

Is my landlord allowed to enter my property when I'm not at home, they have given me notice that they will be here on Wednesday for an inspection and that if I'm not in they will use the spare key. I will not be in and don't like the thoughts of them here when I'm not, is this allowed?
wethrby

Postby said99 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:06 pm

yes ... they came to inspect my house awhile ago using spare key
said99

Postby darce » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:15 pm

If they have given enough time then yes, sounds like they have. Sorry, maybe ask someone to be there instead of you
darce

Postby dennie18 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:17 pm

If they have given enough time then yes, sounds like they have. Sorry, maybe ask someone to be there instead of you
Yes has given you notice so up to you if you are not there , Up to you to make arrangements
dennie18

Postby dallen47 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:18 pm

Considering that it is THEIR property, and they have been thoughtful and giving you notice of their intention to enter their property, then they have EVERY RIGHT to enter THEIR OWN property.
dallen47

Postby abraham90 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:23 pm

Yes, if they have given you notice, they can enter their property.
abraham90

Postby merla15 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:25 pm

Yes, they are allowed to enter the property that they own and that you are merely borrowing from them. They only need to give you notice, which they have.
merla15

Postby ezri » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:36 pm

Yes, they are allowed to enter the property that they own and that you are merely borrowing from them. They only need to give you notice, which they have.
No, they can only enter their property. If they do not own it they have no rights. If you are actually calling their property yours then of course, it belongs to them. They can inspect it, you do not have to be there.

You need to determine if you own the place or not, that willl avoid confusion.
ezri

Postby gall » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:40 pm

First of all, it is NOT your property. It is the Landlord's property.

Secondly, with appropriate notice, they can enter the rental with or without you. Whether you are there or not is up to you.

If you don't like the thought of someone looking through your rooms, then you need to buy a home and stop renting.
gall

Postby therron57 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:45 pm

Yes they are legally entitled to do this as long as they give you 24 hours notice. They can come either for inspections or to show round potential tenants after you've given them notice when you want to leave. The only time they are not allowed to do this is if it comes under harrassment - it should say something in your contract about 'allowing you the peaceful enjoyment of your home' - so in other words they can't do an inspection every other day or come round at 5am for example. The best thing to do is to make friends with them and ask them nicely if they could re-arrange the time so that you can be there. Say that you'd like to be there to ask them some questions or observe the inspection so you know what to expect and want to make sure you're up to their standard or something.
therron57

Next

Return to Property Law