Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Tips for Achieving an Amicable Divorce

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Do you have to go to court after receiving a traffic citation?

Been involved in a traffic accident? Discuss traffic laws here

Postby michelangelo » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:36 pm

I'm in the state of Maryland (since state laws differ), it was for speeding (89 in a 50), the officer marked the fine amount; but the box for "you must appear for trial when notified by court" is not checked in and neither is the other box about appearing. So do I have to appear or just pay the fine?
michelangelo

Postby favian » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:45 pm

just need to pay the fine
favian

Postby crosbey » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:47 pm

if you plan on fighting it you will have to go to court.if you just want to plead guilty you mail them in a check or money order
crosbey

Postby hjortur » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:54 pm

No you do not have to appear in court for certain offenses. In your case, you were going 39 over the posted speed limit. In MD, most traffic fines are fixed rates, with a "Must Appear" flag only applicable for the most serious offenses. And if you had committed one of those, the ticket (The "MARYLAND UNIFORM COMPLAINT AND CITATION") would have had the box checked next to "YOU MUST APPEAR FOR TRIAL WHEN NOTIFIED BY THE COURT."

Exceeding the limit by 39 mph carries a fine of $290 and 5 points against your license. You can:
1. Pay the fine by mailing it in, which is in effect also pleading guilty and avoiding a court date.
2. Plead "guilty with explanation." Send the form in with the box indicating you want to do this, then appear in court to explain to the judge. This is recommended as the judge can choose to lower your fine or not give as many points.
3. Do nothing and wait for a trial date to be set. Do this if you wish to contest the ticket and plead not guilty.
hjortur

Postby beacher » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:58 pm

It is suppose to tell you on the ticket if you can pay the fine or must go to the traffic court, since you are not sure, call the court and ask.
beacher

Postby benon » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:01 am

Just pay the fine.
benon

Postby armin » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:13 am

My ticket said the same thing... I just paid mine at the desk and didn't have to show in court(im in ohio tho). Just try going to the payment desk and paying or call the number on the ticket and ask if you have to show in court.
armin

Postby stephon14 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:19 am

The cop probably did forget, since the standard is 20+ means a court date. The court does have to honor whatever the cop puts or doesn't though. Pay the fine at the court house instead of mailing it in. If they accept it, you're in the clear.
stephon14

Postby ned » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:32 am

Boy--you sure got lucky with this one--going 40 miles over the speed limit, you really must of been in a hurry to use the wash room--LIL
Usually you would have to appear in court this is not a wave able offense, you sir are very lucky--where I live--you would of been taken to jail for speeding that much over the limit.
You did not say when you received the ticket, most of the time you have 30 days to pay a normal speeding ticket. I would wait for the 3 week after you received your ticket--then prepare to pay the fine. I would make sure that you did not receive a notice from the courts--make a photo copy of the front and back of the ticket and send them a check or certified money order--make sure you also make a photo copy of this. I would also suggest that you sent it certified/return receipt to the address on the back of the ticket. It will take about a month or so for them to send you a receipt back. I would also suggest that you put this into a place where it can be found for you just might need it years from now.
ned

Return to Traffic Law