Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Diy Burial

Discuss anything to do with property law - buying, selling property

Diy Burial

Postby Brocleah » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:48 am

What are the laws concerning private burials in NC?  If you can point me in the right direction on the Web I'll research it myself, but I could not find the info.  Does one have to be embalmed?  Can I be buried on my own land?

Thank You.
Brocleah

Diy Burial

Postby Huritt » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:46 pm

You do not need to use a funeral director in NC. In fact there's a wonderful story in LIFE magazine(1997-8?, May issue, I think) of a NC DIY family.

If you own land outside the village or city, you should be able to set up a family burial ground. Draw a map of the land showing where it will be and file it with the deed. Shouldn't cost much to file it. Make sure it is 150 ft. from a water supply, 25 ft. from a power line, and whatever zoning set-backs are for your boundary line. These are not state laws but good guidelines. You do need 18 inches of earth on top, per NC law.

You do not need to be embalmed in NC under any circumstances.

You might find my book(should be at the library) to be very helpful--"Caring for the Dead: Your Final Act of Love." There's a NC chapter with mention of how to file the death certificate and other permits.

Lisa Carlson

my direct e-mail, should you need it, is [email protected]
Huritt

Return to Property Law