Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Disappearing Ex-spouse

Family Law Discussion Forum

Disappearing Ex-spouse

Postby Beauvis » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:42 am

I have been divorced for 9 years, and my ex husband has recently disappeared.  He has made NO contact of any kind.  He knows that I am planning to move out of state and we where working on going back to court with all the updates for the court papers.  Now that he has disappeared, what do I do???

Help needed ASAP
Beauvis

Disappearing Ex-spouse

Postby Lok » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:48 am

I have been divorced for 9 years, and my ex husband has recently disappeared.  He has made NO contact of any kind.  He knows that I am planning to move out of state and we where working on going back to court with all the updates for the court papers.  Now that he has disappeared, what do I do???

Help needed ASAP
Lok

Disappearing Ex-spouse

Postby Marq » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:16 am

Dear Alicia

Unless the custody order prevents you from leaving the State, just go. If you have to amend the order, simply file a motion with the Court stating that he has disappeared. You will need to run the notice of the hearing in the local paper according to your state's public notice rules and he will be deemed served. I would ask a lawyer what to do. If you won't do that, you can always go to the courthouse and ask the clerk staff what to do. They usually are helpful.

Good luck
Marq

Return to Family Law