Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Default Judgement And Wage Garnishment

Discuss anything relating to Consumer Law

Postby Fortunio » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:17 pm

I recently discovered that a default judegement was filed in the King County Superior Court in the state of Washington for a very old credit card debt that has accummulated from $800 to $5500.   I was never summoned to appear in court and as a matter of fact, I no longer live in the state of Washington.  I returned to Texas, where the original debt occured.   Now, this 3rd party collection(they are also attorneys) have placed a garnishment on my wages.   Is that judgement in the state of Washington able to be enforced in the state of Texas?   And would you recommend seeking an attorney since I was not allowed due process?
Fortunio

Postby Marlow » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:43 am

Dear Sir or Madam:     Yes, you would be right thinking to consult counsel on this matter.  You have a rather complex, procedural question which entails choice of law and the tolling of statute of limitations.  You also have a substantive question as to whether full faith and credit applies to garnishment in Texas via a foreign judgment.  Finally, there is a matter of service which may require you to file a Motion to Vacate.     Therefore, yes, you should review the matter[s] with an attorney.          Apex Credit Services, LLC
Marlow

Postby Akono » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:05 pm

I recently discovered that a default judegement was filed in the King County Superior Court in the state of Washington for a very old credit card debt that has accummulated from $800 to $5500.   I was never summoned to appear in court and as a matter of fact, I no longer live in the state of Washington.  I returned to Texas, where the original debt occured.   Now, this 3rd party collection(they are also attorneys) have placed a garnishment on my wages.   Is that judgement in the state of Washington able to be enforced in the state of Texas?   And would you recommend seeking an attorney since I was not allowed due process?
Akono

Return to Consumer Law