Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Defamation Of Character?

Defamation Law Discussion Forum

Defamation Of Character?

Postby Eysteinn » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:46 pm

Hi,

I have a question about whether I'd have a case for defamation of character, or something along those lines.  I recently broke up with someone where the break up was just awful.  He's currently writing memoirs about his dating life and I find it hard to believe he won't paint me as a crazy ex girlfriend(in fact I've seen some of his chapters, and he's done such).

So far in the book he uses my pseudonym(which many people know me by, so it's as identifying as my real name).

I'm not keen on the idea of my actions in that relationship being immortalized forever in print, and tied to my name.

I'm wondering if it's possible to stop him from including me in the book at all- and if not- do I have any kind of case after it's published?  I was reading on false light and that seemed to fit the cirumstances...

Thanks.
Eysteinn

Defamation Of Character?

Postby jerrick » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:14 pm

Becca,

The issue as to whether it may be defamation depends on the truth of the matter asserted.  If your ex-boyfriend is telling the truth then you would not have a case for defamation even if it is unflattering to you.  Defamation is: 1) a false statement; 2) which the maker knows to be false; 3) which is published to a third person; 4) which lessens the reputation; and 5) causes you damages.

Very truly yours,

Paul D. Friedman, M.A., Ph.D., J.D.
jerrick

Defamation Of Character?

Postby Winton » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:25 am

Hi,

I have a question about whether I'd have a case for defamation of character, or something along those lines.  I recently broke up with someone where the break up was just awful.  He's currently writing memoirs about his dating life and I find it hard to believe he won't paint me as a crazy ex girlfriend(in fact I've seen some of his chapters, and he's done such).

So far in the book he uses my pseudonym(which many people know me by, so it's as identifying as my real name).

I'm not keen on the idea of my actions in that relationship being immortalized forever in print, and tied to my name.

I'm wondering if it's possible to stop him from including me in the book at all- and if not- do I have any kind of case after it's published?  I was reading on false light and that seemed to fit the cirumstances...

Thanks.
Winton

Return to Defamation Law