Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!  

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Debt from debt collector not valid?

Discuss anything relating to Consumer Law

Postby orson19 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:03 pm

I received a notice from a debt collector that I have a debt with Comcast. I certainly do not have any current bills due nor have I ever had a debt with Comcast. The debt collector provided me with a phone number for Comcast that I can call, which is an incorrect number. The debt collector also listed a Comcast account number which is also not a valid Comcast account number (4 too many digits). I have called Comcast directly and they have searched for me by name, SSN, address, phone number and account number and they see no debt has ever existed for this amount (my bill has always been on auto-pay).

I disputed the debt with the debt collector and apparently Comcast will be sending me a verification of the debt within the next week or so. I have also created an escalated ticket with Comcast in which they will contact me back in the next few days. I have recently moved and the transition with my account move with Comcast was a nightmare, and this is where I suspect this issue is arising from. Here is my question...

Let's assume Comcast says this debt is valid and I know it is not - what course of action do I have against this? It just seems like I could essentially get robbed here. It doesn't seem right that even if the consumer disputes a debt that they know isn't valid, as long as the company has something stating that you owe them money, even as a purchase order typed up in Word, you're screwed unless you pay. Is there any laws preventing this sort of thievery? I'm somewhat familiar with the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, but none of that really applies here. Thanks!
orson19

Postby bearchan » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:08 pm

They make mistakes.
Also dispute it with the 3 bureaus
You get all 3 reports for free once a year at
Annual Credit Report.com

Do you have anyone close to you that could have used your info to get cable?
Did your parents have serious debt problems? Or do you have an old girlfriend?
This will all be fixed - you are never responisible if someone steals your info to open utilities. But ge all 3 reports and dipute on them also
Keep a notebook of everything you do.
Your next step will be to send a certified letter to the collection agency
bearchan

Postby bernd » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:13 pm

Start off by running your credit report at least every year to make sure there is nothing going on. If this is on your credit report, there is a way to dispute it they will give you that info.
bernd

Postby hewlett » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:25 pm

First, is this collection agency AFNI by any chance?
Collection agencies that deal in old utility/phone accounts often cannot find the original debtor, so they start harassing the first person they can find with similar names or addresses.

The unfortunate fact is that the credit bureaus make more money by accepting whatever the collection agencies report.
If the credit bureaus keep validating incorrect info as accurate, then you'll have to do the following: - Send certified letters to collection agency that this report this info. State that you will file complaints with the Attorney General of their state, your state, the FTC and their local BBB if they do not remove this inaccurate info. If this fails too, then your only recourse is to hire an attorney and sue them for Fair Credit Reporting Act violations.
hewlett

Postby lalla3 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:30 pm

This is a zombie debt collector who did a skip trace and came up with your name. Don't waste your time playing around with Comcast. Comcast sold off this debt and won't have any records of it.

Send the collection agency a certified, return reciept letter disputing the debt and request they provide copies of contracts or other documents proving this debt is yours. It is THEIR responsibility to prove the debt. In this case, they should at least be able to come up with a bill that shows the actual name and address where service was provided.
lalla3

Postby elkan80 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:32 pm

LOTS of scam debt collection calls going on right now. NEVER give personal info over phone even if it sounds legit. Tell them to send it in mail. Don't give them your address. They should already have it if there legit. That being said you may be SOL if comcast say's you owe. By the way, anytime you move always freeze your credit. Forwarding address with post office doesn't forward junk mail. Had someone order $200 dollars worth of DVDs in my name cause of it. Disputed it, didn't even live in that state anymore, and had to pay it anyway to get it off my credit report.
elkan80

Return to Consumer Law