Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Death Midwife And Funeral Laws On Georgia

Discuss anything relating to Consumer Law

Postby illias » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:20 am

I am interested in becoming a Death Midwife. Are there laws in Georgia that regulate Death Midwives? Can the funeral process be done without a funeral director? Are there workshops online? How do I access information from your book on funeral law? Thank you, Sandra.

ANSWER: Families in GA may care for their own dead without a funeral director.

If you are planning to assist them and charge money for it, you will likely be seen as practicing funeral directing without a license. If you are offering your help free of charge, as they did in the old days, you'll be fine. Death midwives are not yet regulated in any state, tho' Oregon is trying to as is Colorado.

Do you have any experience with the dead? Hospice volunteer perhaps?

There are two people I know of giving courses--Beth Knox -- www.crossings.net -- and Jerrigrace Lyons -- www.finalpassages.org

There is also a conference in CO Oct. 3rd.

If you e-mail me directly, I can send you the GA chapter from the '98 edition of my book. I have not yet updated that for the next edition, so I'm not sure what has [email protected]

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

Would it be against the law in Georgia if I charged a fee, but have no funeral director license? Also, I do have 3 years hospice experience and was present for many deaths. Thank you for the information. Sandra
illias

Postby Clevon » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:04 am

I am interested in becoming a Death Midwife. Are there laws in Georgia that regulate Death Midwives? Can the funeral process be done without a funeral director? Are there workshops online? How do I access information from your book on funeral law? Thank you, Sandra.

ANSWER: Families in GA may care for their own dead without a funeral director.

If you are planning to assist them and charge money for it, you will likely be seen as practicing funeral directing without a license. If you are offering your help free of charge, as they did in the old days, you'll be fine. Death midwives are not yet regulated in any state, tho' Oregon is trying to as is Colorado.

Do you have any experience with the dead? Hospice volunteer perhaps?

There are two people I know of giving courses--Beth Knox -- www.crossings.net -- and Jerrigrace Lyons -- www.finalpassages.org

There is also a conference in CO Oct. 3rd.

If you e-mail me directly, I can send you the GA chapter from the '98 edition of my book. I have not yet updated that for the next edition, so I'm not sure what has [email protected]

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

Would it be against the law in Georgia if I charged a fee, but have no funeral director license? Also, I do have 3 years hospice experience and was present for many deaths. Thank you for the information. Sandra
Clevon

Postby andrian » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:59 pm

If you are doing what funeral directors are doing--bathing and transporting bodies, filing paperwork--then you will be perceived as practicing funeral directing without a license if you charge for it. Good that you have hospice experience. If you're an RN, you can probably get away with doing a bit more than a lay person, but not a lot.
andrian

Return to Consumer Law