Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Cremated Remains

Discuss anything relating to Consumer Law

Cremated Remains

Postby Hayyim » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:11 am

My friend Lisa lost her Father and Mother a day apart in January, they lived in Tennessee. They were cremated and brought back to Maryland with her, she has all the proper documents. they have burial plots in Hanover, PA.which is paid for. They had no insurance or money. Lisa was told by the funeral home that she needed to purchase vaults. I had read on your web site that no state requires this. The funeral home wants $5000.00 total to put them in the ground.Can she put them in the ground herself?Is there a requirement on how far down the remains should be, they are in a metal container. I don't want her to be taken advantage of, I went through this 3 times and wish I knew then what I know now, there is help out there so we are not so vulnerable.
Hayyim

Cremated Remains

Postby Jarred » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:57 am

My friend Lisa lost her Father and Mother a day apart in January, they lived in Tennessee. They were cremated and brought back to Maryland with her, she has all the proper documents. they have burial plots in Hanover, PA.which is paid for. They had no insurance or money. Lisa was told by the funeral home that she needed to purchase vaults. I had read on your web site that no state requires this. The funeral home wants $5000.00 total to put them in the ground.Can she put them in the ground herself?Is there a requirement on how far down the remains should be, they are in a metal container. I don't want her to be taken advantage of, I went through this 3 times and wish I knew then what I know now, there is help out there so we are not so vulnerable.
Jarred

Cremated Remains

Postby Marquis » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:27 am

Boy, you certainly got my blood boiling!! Is it the funeral home or the cemetery -- or is it a combo operation -- that quoted $5,000?????? I want to know the name of the place and the city, and I can then probably find out who owns it. Then I want to price the same services to see what they tell me over the phone. I won't mention names. I'll call about an "aunt." There is both a cemetery board and a funeral board where one can file complaints in MD.

In the meantime, you can have your Lisa ask the cemetery for a copy of the cemetery regulations. That should have a description of what kind of urn vault they might require. NO state law does. This is simply a way to get more money out of consumers. BUT I may have some creative do-it-yourself ways to meet the cemetery regs. One friend took a 4" white PVC sewer pipe and put caps on both ends and the cremated remains inside. ;-) The cemetery had to accept it because of the way the regs were written. There are also places on the internet that sell urn vaults for much more affordable prices. Opening the grave site shouldn't be more than a couple hundred dollars and is over-priced at that. Certainly NOT thousands! Of course, if Lisa owns a shovel and a flashlight, she might want to do everything quietly herself. That's certainly what I would do in her shoes.
Marquis

Return to Consumer Law