Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Credit Card Debt Statute Of Limitations

Discuss the legalities of Bankruptcy Law

Postby Ame » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:34 am

Now, I'm really confused. I just met with an Atty. to possibly represent me. She said that a credit card is a written contract, subject to 15 years, or it is a revolving account, subject to NO limitations for collection. She read the info you sent and said because you are "not an Ohio Atty. the information was not valid. Just copy, cut and pasted randomly from the ORC." There are too many sources telling of a limit for debt collections for credit card debt in Ohio - they can't all be wrong. I have spoken with 6 Atty.s and all have said there is no limit(due forever) or they said it's a written contract - 15 years. Can you believe I am still confused? You gave great, specific ORC info, and now my confidence in my case is shattered. One Atty. even said that because I filed a Motion for information and then filed a Motion to Dismiss, that I cannot claim absolute defense - because I validated the debt by requesting proof of it. Are there any atty.s in Columbus, Ohio that you can refer me to? Please, I am being eaten alive in our "un-justice system". -------------------------  
Ame

Postby Willoughby » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:40 pm

I resent this knucklehead saying that I was just "cutting and pasting".   She is right, I am not an Ohio attorney, but last I head, Ohio was still part of the United States, and Ohio license or not, there are general priciples of law that apply across the board, Ohio or not.  That little twit showed he lack of competence by claiming that there was "no limitation" period for an open account.  The Ohio cases tghat I read indicated that there is indeed a limitation periold for even open accounts.  The case that aI sent you was the clearest case that I saw from Ohio that shows that althought he general rule for a written contract was a 15 lyear statute of limitaiton, there are other statutory exceptions to that rule.  Did she even make an attempt to show you as much?  Of course not.  Apparently she just puffs up herself by trying to denigrate what I had tried to help you with.  My bet is that she is probably a young lawyer that is still wet behind the ears.  She didn't even try to do you any good.  this isn't an issue about me -  it's a fairly straightforward issue of what stattue of limitation applies.  I am curious as to how old or what experience this knucklehead has.  If you send me her name I can look her up and send you paperwork that shows what her qualifications are for being able to act so arrogant and smug.

A fool delights in revealing his or her own mind.  If she didn't want to make a good faith effort to help you, she shouldn't be spouting her mouth off as to what she thinks the law is without providing any real alternative.  It is telling that she didn't even try to help you.  Nor did she give you a positive indication of what the stattue of limitations was.  She's an Ohio attorney, yet apparently she doesn't know.  Good thing you didn't hire her.  It sounds like she has no small amount of laziness if not malice and gossip in her blood.  

And then she suggests that you have waived your statute of limitations defense by asking for a copy of the bill?   I wouldn't believe that for a second.  That is ridiculous.  Of course she failed to provide you with any authority for such a notion.
Willoughby

Postby Briggebam » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:50 am

Now, I'm really confused. I just met with an Atty. to possibly represent me. She said that a credit card is a written contract, subject to 15 years, or it is a revolving account, subject to NO limitations for collection. She read the info you sent and said because you are "not an Ohio Atty. the information was not valid. Just copy, cut and pasted randomly from the ORC." There are too many sources telling of a limit for debt collections for credit card debt in Ohio - they can't all be wrong. I have spoken with 6 Atty.s and all have said there is no limit(due forever) or they said it's a written contract - 15 years. Can you believe I am still confused? You gave great, specific ORC info, and now my confidence in my case is shattered. One Atty. even said that because I filed a Motion for information and then filed a Motion to Dismiss, that I cannot claim absolute defense - because I validated the debt by requesting proof of it. Are there any atty.s in Columbus, Ohio that you can refer me to? Please, I am being eaten alive in our "un-justice system". -------------------------  
Briggebam

Return to Bankruptcy Law