Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Considering Becoming A Police Officer.

Been involved in a traffic accident? Discuss traffic laws here

Postby Victorino » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:36 am

Good morning Mr Grabill.

My name Is Dustin,and I have a few questions concerning law enforcement and my military past. I went to ft benning GA for BCT for the ARMY. Tons of family problems came up. Basically I was torn between what to do. Long story short I received a Chapter 5-17 ELS cause being depression. I'm alot better now I'm a great athlete I don't smoke or drink. I'm not a law breaker I have a good record. I'm considering going to school for my Bach degree in criminal justice,BUT is it really worth my time? Basically I'm asking is there even a possibility of me becoming involved with law enforcement with me having My chapter 5-17? It's classified under medical discharge under honorable conditions. I really want to become a DEA agent,but i know i have to start from the bottom and work my way up. So in short is there any chance of me becoming a police officer,and then becoming apart of DEA??? Thank you
Victorino

Postby Diyari » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:45 am

Dustin:  You'll have to answer some difficult questions during the background for any law enforcement position, explaining why you quit recruit training. If depression is listed as an issue, departments are going to be hesitant in hiring you, since law enforcement work is naturally stressfull to begin with.    Second, your chances for getting a federal job, ANY federal job, at this time are extremely slim.  You are competing with individuals who have 'veterans preference' for service on active duty overseas in a combat zone.  Since you do not have this, you are automatically rated below them in any federal job you apply for.  (It's the law).  So, unless you are applying for a job that has NO veterans applying at the same time you are, OR there are enough openings for both veterans and NON veterans, your chances(realistically) of being hired are not very good in the federal gov't(even with prior law enforcement experience).  Lastly,(and I tell everyone this) a CJ degree limits your career options even within Law Enforcement.  I'd personally go for something else, because after your police career is ended, there isn't a whole lot you can actually do with that degree outside LEO work.  Business, Management, teaching, or a BS degree are better economically in the long run.  

Best regards,

Jason
Diyari

Postby Parrish » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:04 pm

Good morning Mr Grabill.

My name Is Dustin,and I have a few questions concerning law enforcement and my military past. I went to ft benning GA for BCT for the ARMY. Tons of family problems came up. Basically I was torn between what to do. Long story short I received a Chapter 5-17 ELS cause being depression. I'm alot better now I'm a great athlete I don't smoke or drink. I'm not a law breaker I have a good record. I'm considering going to school for my Bach degree in criminal justice,BUT is it really worth my time? Basically I'm asking is there even a possibility of me becoming involved with law enforcement with me having My chapter 5-17? It's classified under medical discharge under honorable conditions. I really want to become a DEA agent,but i know i have to start from the bottom and work my way up. So in short is there any chance of me becoming a police officer,and then becoming apart of DEA??? Thank you
Parrish

Return to Traffic Law