Welcome to Law-Forums.org!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Compartment Syndrome Resulting In Amputation

Been the victim of Medical Malpractice or fighting a malpractice suit? Discuss it here.

Postby Jervis » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:38 pm

I was involved in a fatal automobile accident.  My tibial shaft was fractured and I complained of acute pain in my lower limbs.  Orthopedic surgeon at the hospital performed fasciotomy.  My problem is that, according to the medical record, the incision length was 2 cm.  That's less than an inch. This did not relieve the pressure in my limb and I lost my left leg above the knee and most of my muscle in my right leg was removed.  Do I have a case?

I found some medical references on internet that says incisional length for acute CS should be at least 15 cm.  Is that correct?

Your prompt reply is greatly appreciated as I am running out of time to file a suit against the hospital.  (The accident happened 22 months ago.)
Jervis

Postby claudius » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:53 pm

I was involved in a fatal automobile accident.  My tibial shaft was fractured and I complained of acute pain in my lower limbs.  Orthopedic surgeon at the hospital performed fasciotomy.  My problem is that, according to the medical record, the incision length was 2 cm.  That's less than an inch. This did not relieve the pressure in my limb and I lost my left leg above the knee and most of my muscle in my right leg was removed.  Do I have a case?

I found some medical references on internet that says incisional length for acute CS should be at least 15 cm.  Is that correct?

Your prompt reply is greatly appreciated as I am running out of time to file a suit against the hospital.  (The accident happened 22 months ago.)
claudius

Postby eochaidh94 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:34 pm

No 'proper' length of incisions made for release of compartment syndrome exists. The surgeon makes his incision based on his evaluation of the problem.

You do not say how the compartment syndrome began. Was it the result of casting the legs? Was it a direct result of the original injury? Was the fibula also fractured? Compartment syndrome usually is diagnosed in the days following treatment of fracture of the leg.

You say you are running out of time. Have you seen a lawyer? Have you obtained your medical records?  You mention the length of the incision that was made. Is this information in the operative report(if any)? You have left out a lot of information that could help.

My suggestion is that you talk to a malpractice lawyer, and also that you stop trying to solve this case on your own. Medical malpractice cases are difficult enough for a lawyer who can make decisions without emotion. If you now have a lawyer then allow him to work the case. If you think he is not doing enough you can change lawyers, I have worked a lot of cases for lawyers during which a dissatisfied client has wrecked the case by interfering with the lawyer's job. Do not spoil your own case. Talk seriously with your lawyer(if you have one) and try to understand his role in your case. Once again, if you are unhappy with your lawyer, change. If you do not have an experienced malpractice lawyer, then get one NOW.
eochaidh94

Return to Medical Malpractice