Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Collections Law

Defamation Law Discussion Forum

Collections Law

Postby Owen » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:11 pm

My acct w/the condo property mgr has just been referred to an attorney for collection. My questions are this: 1)when is it customary to consider a debt delinquent? 2) when is it customary to forward a delinquency to an atty for collection? 3)The property mgr blasted an email to condo board members that I've bounced cks in the past(I haven't bounced any cks)-what recourse do I have on this?
Owen

Collections Law

Postby Abiah » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:59 am

My acct w/the condo property mgr has just been referred to an attorney for collection. My questions are this: 1)when is it customary to consider a debt delinquent? 2) when is it customary to forward a delinquency to an atty for collection? 3)The property mgr blasted an email to condo board members that I've bounced cks in the past(I haven't bounced any cks)-what recourse do I have on this?
Abiah

Collections Law

Postby Sativola » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:53 am

My acct w/the condo property mgr has just been referred to an attorney for collection. My questions are this: 1)when is it customary to consider a debt delinquent? Technically speaking, whenever a payment is overdue

2) when is it customary to forward a delinquency to an atty for collection? That's the individual creditor's call, but many write off a debt as uncollectible, take a tax deduction for the debt as a loss, and refer it to an attorney or a collection agency after it is 120 days past due.

3)The property mgr blasted an email to condo board members that I've bounced cks in the past(I haven't bounced any cks)-what recourse do I have on this? It is possible that you might have a defamation action for slander or libel against the mgr or the condo corporation for this, but it is possible that under your particular state law there may be an exception if the publication was only to other board members -  i.e., the communication, although defamatory, may be privileged -  it just depends on your own state's particular law.

Here is a good web site to get a free attorney referral to speak with an attorney in your area.  Go to this site and then click on “find a lawyer”.  This is the web site for the American Trial Lawyers Association – an excellent way to find a lawyer for this kind of thing.

www.atlanet.org
Sativola

Return to Defamation Law