Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Code 1

Been involved in a traffic accident? Discuss traffic laws here

Code 1

Postby Erryl » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:56 pm

I have a quick question for you which might sound a little ridiculous. Our department alarm assignments put 3 engines and a ladder on all AFA assignments. It is also in our SOPs that all responses are to be code 3 unless told otherwise by command at the scene or a chief. We have a LT. who is determined that the engine out of his house when he is present will not go code 3 unless they have a confirmed fire or life threat. As a driver I find this quite irritating because we will be going code 3 to a call and county will  come back and say callback from alarm company reporting smoke from cooking and the LT will reach over and shut my lights off. I understand where he is coming from but I feel that as the driver I am in control of the rig and responsible for what happens and the personnel on board. I have spoken to the Chiefs several times and he stopped doing for a while. He is back to doing it and it seems as if the chiefs don't care anymore. Any suggestions on what I might be able to do? thanks
Erryl

Code 1

Postby Dereck » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:08 am

Sorry for the delay in answering but I have been without a computer for the past two weeks.

All I can say here is that our department responds non emergency to all automatic alarms with one Engine Co or possibly a Quint/ladder. There have been many studies that show a non emergency response can be nearly as efficient as an emergency one and with the advent of Opticoms for traffic signals and the fact that most all automatic alarms are false. I really don't understand running three apparatus, and endangering crews and civilians, on a call that is consistently false. In the event you did have something there is plenty a Company can do to prepare in setting up for the big one. I want you to know that as a Captain I would abide by the SOPs and do what the department has laid out for me to do. There are many things I don't agree with but many times the SOPs benefit the majority. What should you do? I would suggest that you document each time the LT tells you to go Code 3. maybe even get a statement from the others that can attest to him telling you to do it. If something were to happen you, as the driver, do take responsibility for your actions. If you are going against the SOP and injury someone it's gonna fall on you butt. This is where documentation and witnesses can be you friend. If your officer orders you to do it then you take a bit of heat off yourself. Talk to him about it and let him know how you feel. I am sure he would appreciate you be forward with him and not holding it in.  
Dereck

Return to Traffic Law