Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Clearing 12 Year Old Warrants/cases

Been involved in a traffic accident? Discuss traffic laws here

Postby Fabion » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:06 pm

Greetings,    When I was 17 I was arrested for 3 counts of Felony theft(between $2000-$3000), but never made the initial court appearance.  Now turning 30 next week I would very much like to get this resolved, but am having difficulty in doing so.  The warrants are out of Washington County Oregon, and no other offenses were committed since these 3.  I contacted an attorney in Washington County, but they want over $7000 in just a retainer, which I cannot afford.  In contacting the DA they just send me to the jail which states I have to turn myself in.      I'm very confused by all of this.  I currently reside in Illinois, which is outside of the area of extradition.  I have no business in Oregon or the 'Shuttle Area', which is the area the warrant covers.  I'm just a family man, who made mistakes as a child, who would like to put this behind him, but am finding it very difficult to do so.      My goal is to come to some sort of arrangement with the DA that would allow me to get this case moving again, without jeopardizing my job or family's financial stability.  Since I cannot afford the attorney fees that are being asked, I need to manage this with minimal attorney assistance.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Fabion

Postby matyas » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:04 pm

Chris,

The problem with warrants is that they never really go away.  If you are stopped for a traffic violation or other interaction with law enforcement your outstanding warrants may be discovered and you will be held until Oregon decides whether they want to extradite you or not. I know you cannot afford it, but how can you not?  Try to take out a loan to cover the fees of a less expensive attorney(keep telephoning) and have them work out a deal with the DA on your behalf.  I cannot think of any other way around this.  If not, these warrants will continue to dog you.

If you cannot raise the money then you need to negotiate with the DA's office on your own.  Either way you will probably have to pay fines and restitution.  Consider contacting a local attorney to negotiate on your behalf.  You will be forced to do the footwork but it might pay off.

Best of luck.
matyas

Postby MacDougal » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:50 pm

Greetings,    When I was 17 I was arrested for 3 counts of Felony theft(between $2000-$3000), but never made the initial court appearance.  Now turning 30 next week I would very much like to get this resolved, but am having difficulty in doing so.  The warrants are out of Washington County Oregon, and no other offenses were committed since these 3.  I contacted an attorney in Washington County, but they want over $7000 in just a retainer, which I cannot afford.  In contacting the DA they just send me to the jail which states I have to turn myself in.      I'm very confused by all of this.  I currently reside in Illinois, which is outside of the area of extradition.  I have no business in Oregon or the 'Shuttle Area', which is the area the warrant covers.  I'm just a family man, who made mistakes as a child, who would like to put this behind him, but am finding it very difficult to do so.      My goal is to come to some sort of arrangement with the DA that would allow me to get this case moving again, without jeopardizing my job or family's financial stability.  Since I cannot afford the attorney fees that are being asked, I need to manage this with minimal attorney assistance.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
MacDougal

Return to Traffic Law