Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Child "surname Change"

Criminal Law Discussion Forum

Child "surname Change"

Postby Fidel » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:12 am

Hello, I am from Louisiana.  My daughter is now 4 years old. The father's name listed on the Birth certificate is not the father.   Already proven through DNA and child support court.  This was done when she was 1 year of age.  I filed for a judgement to have the surname changed since he does not have to pay child support and was ruled not to be the father. I ask to have surname changed to my last name. It was approved and signed by the Judge. My problem is that the State of Louisiana would not change name due to the fact- the father on the birth certificate has to file for name change. He does not want any type of relationship but will not sign paperwork. Can I file for abandonment. Help
Fidel

Child "surname Change"

Postby Sakima » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:14 am

Hello, I am from Louisiana.  My daughter is now 4 years old. The father's name listed on the Birth certificate is not the father.   Already proven through DNA and child support court.  This was done when she was 1 year of age.  I filed for a judgement to have the surname changed since he does not have to pay child support and was ruled not to be the father. I ask to have surname changed to my last name. It was approved and signed by the Judge. My problem is that the State of Louisiana would not change name due to the fact- the father on the birth certificate has to file for name change. He does not want any type of relationship but will not sign paperwork. Can I file for abandonment. Help
Sakima

Child "surname Change"

Postby Ald » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:32 am

Vicki,

DISCLAIMER:

I AM NOT A LAWYER or ATTORNEY. I am someone who has experience in family law issues, and am offering my

OPINION only. For the exact law as it pertains to your

specific case contact a Professional Attorney in your area/county/country.

Abandonment:

Louisiana Criminal abandonment law

LA R.S. 14:79.1

A. Criminal abandonment is the intentional physical abandonment of a minor child under the age of ten years by the child's parent or legal guardian by leaving the minor child unattended and to his own care when the evidence demonstrates that the child's parent or legal guardian did not intend to return to the minor child or provide for adult supervision of the minor child. B. Whoever commits the crime of criminal abandonment shall be fined not more than one thousand dollars, or be imprisoned for not more than one year, or both. Therefore I would not file for "Abandonment". However, I did find this form for Changing the Birth Certificate:http://www.dhh.louisiana.gov/offices/publications/pubs-252/PACKET%2018%2012_04.p...

Fill the application out and submit it along with the court documents in which the order does apply.

If they still will not do it then contact a Professional Attorney. According to this document/form you can change the certificate because: "C" and "D" under corrections.

However, it does state this "Must be executed by the mother and father jointly." .

This is why I strongly recommend seeing a Professional Attorney for further assistance.

Kind Regards,

Jeff  
Ald

Return to Criminal Law