Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Canadian Mother Baby Born In Usa

Talk about immigration laws here

Postby gabrielo19 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:31 pm

I am a canadian citizen by birth, my fiance is american and i am planning on having my child in the US. i am aware that the child will automatically be an american citizen but i am wondering a few things. how long would it take to get the baby proof of canadian citizenship in the us, and what is the difference of processing it in canada? ALSO after having the baby i will be travelling back and forth for a few months from canada and the USA, how would i go about doing this when the baby and i will have different passports/citizenships? i am worried about crossing the border back into canada and then not being allowed back into the US for some reason...  
gabrielo19

Postby Donatien » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:16 pm

I am a canadian citizen by birth, my fiance is american and i am planning on having my child in the US. i am aware that the child will automatically be an american citizen but i am wondering a few things. how long would it take to get the baby proof of canadian citizenship in the us, and what is the difference of processing it in canada? ALSO after having the baby i will be travelling back and forth for a few months from canada and the USA, how would i go about doing this when the baby and i will have different passports/citizenships? i am worried about crossing the border back into canada and then not being allowed back into the US for some reason...  
Donatien

Postby Galway » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:02 am

Dear Cynthia,

First, congratulations on your pregnancy.

You can file the application for your child's Canadian citizenship certificate directly with Citizenship Canada in Sydney, Nova Scotia or via a Canadian consular office in the USA. Directly is the better choice and is only available to residents of the USA(in other countries, applicants have no choice but to apply via a Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate). There is no advantage to applying locally in the US since the Consulate merely forwards the application to Sydney for processing. It takes about 10 to 12 months to process the application. Once you have obtained the citizenship certificate, you may wish to apply for a Canadian passport on your child's behalf.

In the meantime, to travel between the US and Canada, you will need to obtain a US passport for your child. If you travel with your child but are not accompanied by the child's father, always travel with a notarized letter of consent from the child's father. This letter should include a copy of the child's birth certificate and the father's passport(main biodata page only). The same rule applies to the father if he travels with the child but without you.

You may find the following links helpful:

CITIZENSHIP CERTIFICATE APPLICATIONhttp://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/certif.asp

CANADIAN PASSPORT APPLICATIONhttp://www.ppt.gc.ca/index.aspx

This response is for information purposes only. For professional immigration advice or expert assistance please contact me directly.

I would be grateful if you would complete the AllExperts rating form if you found this answer to have been at all helpful.

Thanks and best wishes with your new family life.
Galway

Return to Immigration Law