Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!  

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Can you sue someone from overseas harassing you on Facebook?

Defamation Law Discussion Forum

Postby caelin » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:20 pm

There's this person that's been harassing a friend of mine in Facebook, my friend lives in Southeast Asia while the "suspected" perpetrator lives in the United States, I highlighted suspected because this person does not harass my friend openly but makes multiple dummy accounts sending malicious and defamatory messages to my friend and his friend network on Facebook, we don't have any evidence that it's him but we were thinking that his ISP in the US and Facebook itself must have his IP address in order to track him down, my question is: Is there a chance for this perpetrator be arrested in the US and is there a chance that a criminal case can be made against him?
caelin

Postby rushford79 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:22 pm

You will be requiring a cybernet police that surf the world wide web for criminal activity. But since your friend or you are harassed in what way? There are different kinds of harassment, and I donot think this is a crime per se or could be describe as a crime itself. Crime are those victimized by syndicate that uses the internet for asking money or selling drugs through the internet. Harassment is kinda hard to describe here and since your friend is the one being harassed why is it you are the one complaining about it? He or she should be the one opening up this complain as the one being harassed that is why I ask if it is your friend or it is you.

Chance of being arrested in the US just for this? Are you kidding me? Facebook is a language confine inthe internet, you have to require a permission to the authoritize if a crime committed in website can elevate itself in court. No case has ever prosper yet in this type.

You should ask yourself first if the person committed a crime or not. That is the very first question the authority will ask of your friend. Now if your friend said yes, so what is the crime or what this guy done to consider the thing as a crime? Did he rob your friend, molest, sold drug etc....none I suppose so what is the crime? Harassment? on what degree that your friend is suffering from mental anguish or in such a way your friend is mess up physically or mentally or emotionally? None again. So you people are just wasting the time of the police or the authoritize demanding to arrest such a person in the US.
rushford79

Postby achban » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:27 pm

Have your friend block them, and set up her account to not accept messages from anyone other than friends...no pokes either.
achban

Postby vanaken25 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:33 pm

just delete or block them
vanaken25

Postby artzai » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:35 pm

you have to block and report
artzai

Return to Defamation Law