Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Can They Do This?

Having a dispute with a tenant or landlord? Rental Law discussion

Can They Do This?

Postby Kaiser » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:26 am

Hello. We currently reside in Virginia Beach, Va. Here is our problem/question. It has been fairly warm the past couple of weeks. With temps being anywhere from 60-80 degrees. Because it has been warm, it has naturally been getting warmer inside our apartment. So we turn on the a/c and it doesn't work. We call maintenance to ask them to come fix this issue. They say that they do not work on A/C units until it is warmer out. However it has been 77-80 in my apartment. We have a toddler and he sweats at night or when he is napping, as do we. My question is, do they have the right to just not fix my air just because they do not feel its warm enough to have the A/C on? What if i wanted to use the A/C during winter? Isn't that my right? Thank you for any advice or information you have.
Kaiser

Can They Do This?

Postby Ewart » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:06 am

Heather, thank you for the question.  The answer really depends on the rental agreement.  If it specifically states they won't work on A/C until after a certain date/temperature, then you're stuck.  If it doesn't address the issue, then you have a good case for pushing them to maintain the unit.

I recommend you review the agreement carefully and see if there are limitations in place.  If not, talk to them about your problem and see if they can be reasonable.  At this point in the game, you don't want to play hardball!  Use puppy eyes, treat them nice, appeal to their human side, etc.  If that doesn't work, then consider writing them a letter detailing the situation and their responsibility to provide housing that is functional.  Point out your sweating toddler and pull at the heart strings.  Beyond that, your only recourse is to try and hire an attorney, but it would be cheaper to just buy your own window unit.

I hope this helps!
Ewart

Can They Do This?

Postby Adelphos » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:56 am

Hello. We currently reside in Virginia Beach, Va. Here is our problem/question. It has been fairly warm the past couple of weeks. With temps being anywhere from 60-80 degrees. Because it has been warm, it has naturally been getting warmer inside our apartment. So we turn on the a/c and it doesn't work. We call maintenance to ask them to come fix this issue. They say that they do not work on A/C units until it is warmer out. However it has been 77-80 in my apartment. We have a toddler and he sweats at night or when he is napping, as do we. My question is, do they have the right to just not fix my air just because they do not feel its warm enough to have the A/C on? What if i wanted to use the A/C during winter? Isn't that my right? Thank you for any advice or information you have.
Adelphos

Return to Rental Law