2. Which of the following statements is true of the Gulf of Tonkin affair?
**A. Johnson sought passage of the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution in order to freely expand American involvement in Vietnam.
B. Congress was divided and only reluctantly passed the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution.
C. The destroyer Maddox was sunk by North Vietnamese gunboats.
D. Johnson approved covert amphibious raids on North Vietnam.
3. During the 1950s, the advent of _______ created the largest and fastest-growing impact on American society.
A. educational reform
**B. fundamentalist religion.
D. suburban communities
5. What incident abroad marked the election day of the 1956 election, thereby enhancing Eisenhower's bid for a second term?
A. The French defeat in Indochina
**B. The resolution of the Suez crisis
C. An attack on U.S. Marines in Beirut
D. The crisis in the Formosa Straits
7. Which of the following is true of the Supreme Court's decision in Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka?
**A. It declared that segregated schools were inherently separate and unequal.
B. It established that all citizens should have access to public education.
C. It ruled that segregation should proceed with "all deliberate speed."
D. It ruled that desegregation was a state issue, but that segregation was a federal issue.
9. Which of the following statements is true regarding the Korean War?
A. Stalin approved the North Korean attack in advance.
B. The Chinese armed and trained the North Korean army.
C. Both Stalin and Mao expected the American response to the invasion.
**D. Stalin was outraged by the North Korean attack on South Korea.
15. Which of the following statements about Truman's Fair Deal is true?
**A. It repealed the New Deal.
B. It called for national medical insurance.
C. It was Truman's response to the Soviet's Sputnik.
D. It was reluctantly passed by Congress.
16. Which of the following is true of the Truman Doctrine?
**A. It amounted to an informal declaration of Cold War.
B. It established the Marshall Plan.
C. It ended the policy of containment.
D. It created the North Atlantic Treaty Organization.
18. When postwar expansion slowed in the 1950s, an economic stimulus was provided by
A. the baby boom.
B. the construction of Levitt Towns.
C. Cold War spending.
**D. increased consumer goods manufacturing.