Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Tips for Achieving an Amicable Divorce

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Can my parents legally kick me out of the house?

Family Law Discussion Forum

Postby ingel » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:03 am

I'm 12 years old and I live in Pennsylvania in the United States. I have a lot of emotional issues and just suffered from an eating disorder, plus a mood disorder and clinical depression. I "apparently" am a bad influence on my two little sisters, but its not like i can control what i feel and sometimes i literally feel out of control and lash out on my family and yell at them, but i never ever hurt them physically. My parents aren't abusive but they scream at me and threaten me alot. My dad said he was going to kick me out of the house because of my emotional problems. I think thats total bullshit, because i didn't even do anything wrong. Can he literally kick me out of the house legally? Or could he get in trouble with the law? Please help!!
ingel

Postby arne33 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:04 am

I'm 12 years old and I live in Pennsylvania in the United States. I have a lot of emotional issues and just suffered from an eating disorder, plus a mood disorder and clinical depression. I "apparently" am a bad influence on my two little sisters, but its not like i can control what i feel and sometimes i literally feel out of control and lash out on my family and yell at them, but i never ever hurt them physically. My parents aren't abusive but they scream at me and threaten me alot. My dad said he was going to kick me out of the house because of my emotional problems. I think thats total bullshit, because i didn't even do anything wrong. Can he literally kick me out of the house legally? Or could he get in trouble with the law? Please help!!
no
arne33

Postby eorl » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:08 am

no its not legal
eorl

Postby ludano17 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:11 am

Your parents have the obligation to provide you with food and shelter until you reach 18. Shelter does not have to be at their house. They can have you moved to a facility that treats people like you for your emotional issues.
ludano17

Postby tiernan » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:23 am

He can have you placed under the state care for mental disorders.
tiernan

Postby muireach » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:32 am

Your parents are financially responsible for you until you are a legal adult. He can't kick you out of the house, but he CAN send you somewhere else to live, as long as he's paying for your upkeep.

"I didn't do anything wrong" is a matter of opinion---lashing out and screaming at people IS wrong and it DOES set a bad example. You seem determined to think you can't (or shouldn't have to) control your behavior, but I assure you that you can (and should).
muireach

Postby hardin » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:40 am

depends on what you mean by "Kick." He can complain to a court that you are an incorrigible child that he cannot control and the court could commit you to the custody of an secure facility that has the ability to control. However, laws against neglect of children preclude just changing the locks and sending you on your way.
hardin

Postby weiford » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:42 am

Screaming is abuse. Thats why there is 10000s is sites on " Emotional abuse". Parents cant just do anything they want with words. What if they told you to drink poison? Those are just words but would lead to your death- Get the picture?
weiford

Postby chason62 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:45 am

By law NO!, not until you are 18year old, and are classed by law as an adult, your parents become your guardian's through the singing of your Birth Certificate, you become a 'Person' under the state legal laws. So become a State asset as you will have to pay tax all your working life, so the courts are on your side, as caring for their assets.
chason62

Return to Family Law