Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Research Law Professors Before Choosing Law Schools

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Can my landlord terminate my lease because he doesnt want to repair the property ?

Discuss anything to do with property law - buying, selling property

Can my landlord terminate my lease because he doesnt want to repair the property ?

Postby ashbey15 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:42 pm

My landlord refuses to fix my property. everytime I ask him to fix something he says that he cant afford it. now hes trying to terminate my lease because he doesnt want to fix the property. I am currently on section 8 houseing and he told them that I have 3 dogs living in my house and that I have like 4 people living here which isnt true. Its just me my kids and one dog that he knows about. Now there going to investigate. What will happen when they investigate and send an inspector ? What kind of things do they look for ? and also my worker told me that he can terminate my lease if he feels like it. and that if im in good standing that i would be issued another voucher to move out. What does it even mean to be in good standing with section 8 ? How am i suppose to know what my rights are when my worker doesnt tell me anything ? I cant afford to move right now i am 3 months pregnant and this is really stressing me out. I live in virginia beach and i wanted to put my husband back on the lease would i even be able to do that since my landlord wants to put me out ? Would someone please help me im confused and dont know what to do. I might be homeless with no section 8 because my landlord doesnt want to repair the property :(
ashbey15

Postby madison86 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:43 pm

My landlord refuses to fix my property. everytime I ask him to fix something he says that he cant afford it. now hes trying to terminate my lease because he doesnt want to fix the property. I am currently on section 8 houseing and he told them that I have 3 dogs living in my house and that I have like 4 people living here which isnt true. Its just me my kids and one dog that he knows about. Now there going to investigate. What will happen when they investigate and send an inspector ? What kind of things do they look for ? and also my worker told me that he can terminate my lease if he feels like it. and that if im in good standing that i would be issued another voucher to move out. What does it even mean to be in good standing with section 8 ? How am i suppose to know what my rights are when my worker doesnt tell me anything ? I cant afford to move right now i am 3 months pregnant and this is really stressing me out. I live in virginia beach and i wanted to put my husband back on the lease would i even be able to do that since my landlord wants to put me out ? Would someone please help me im confused and dont know what to do. I might be homeless with no section 8 because my landlord doesnt want to repair the property :(
No, he can't.
madison86

Postby varik » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:45 pm

He doesn't have to fix it, and he is well within his rights to evict you. YOU WERE ALREADY TOLD THIS. Do you not listen?
You WILL have to move.
varik

Postby shashank » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:58 pm

Section 8 actually requires landlords to keep the property up to minimum standards, so most likely if they investigate, the Section 8 people will disqualify the property from the program and you'll have to move out if you want to continue being on Section 8. Section 8 is income based so as long as you still qualify you'll be able to move to another property that qualifies.

Lesson to learn: before you move into a place, check it out to make sure its up to standard, and if you're on a govt program, be grateful for what you have and stop complaining.
shashank

Postby shadrach » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:05 pm

It seems from your writing that his property will not meet section 8 qualifications and you will have to move.
shadrach

Postby jan46 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:13 pm

Yes, he can decide he does not want to be a landlord any more and terminate the lease. Section 8 can also force it if the property does not pass inspection. You will have no choice but to move, if you refuse and he evicts you your voucher will be revoked.

"Good standing" with section 8 would mean following the rules, such as no sleep overs with anyone not on the lease. Also it would mean never being evicted, excessive damage to others property, such as 4 dogs.

If the landlord is the only problem you will be able to move an keep the voucher.
jan46

Postby chason62 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:22 pm

If the repairs are not essential he does not have to fix it. Someone will come from Housing and talk to your neighbors to determine how many dogs and people are there. The landlord can say he has seen unauthorized people. Why jeopardize your Section 8 status with extra people and dogs?

Your lease can be terminated for violations definitely but worse, you can then be evicted and also lose your voucher. To be in good standing with Sec 8 means you have not violated their rules. If you not in good standing you will be evicted, lose your voucher, be prosecuted for fraud, repay all the money they gave for rent subsidy.

3 months pregnant is your problem. Your other question about your husband I answered. You should move before you get evicted, then you keep your voucher and let your husband move back in after you find another place. As I said, leave before you get evicted. Whether your kids eat is not the landlord's problem. If you follow the Housing rules and dont cheat you would not be in this situation.
chason62

Return to Property Law