Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Research Law Professors Before Choosing Law Schools

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Can my friend sue a doctor for?

Defamation Law Discussion Forum

Postby veto » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:29 am

Can I sue a doctor for slander, defamation and for any false accusations?
Okay. So, This doctor my friend has never seen or heard anything about him. This doctor is calling my friend's doctor and saying things that are not true and are pretty much slander, false accusations and libel.
Wouldn't the doctor of my friend's be in breach of a privacy act, the form that you fill out that protects your privacy from any other doctor or 3rd party if they have no ties to that doctor what so ever? It's basically someone that has slander and accused my friend of doing something and he has not done a thing, no evidence on behalf of the said accuser and so, they have told their doctor a bunch of lies and the doctor of theirs have someone breach privacy of the other doctor an have told numerous lies and so, I want to know what can be done and I prefer NO slander, no negative/trolling answers. If any of you spam, troll, insult me or anything. I WILL REPORT YOU.
I only seek an answer from someone who is experienced about the law and what can be done. My friend feels like he has been violated by his privacy of being breached, his is suffering emotionally because his doctor is thinking of dropping him and stopping him from getting any more medicine and he has cancer and I want to know what can be done. I need advice right now.
Thank you.
veto

Postby dana » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:39 am

Ok firstly libel is slander but written down so you cant sue for libel because its only words, secondly why would a doctor ur friend knows nothing about talk about him because in my opinion someone cant say negative stuff about someone who they dont know cos they wouldnt know his doctors name or even his. Thirdly it would cost too much and if u lose it was for nothing. My advice is report the doctor to the doctors council or higher up than him. He would get punished the courts are no place to resolve this its too costly.
dana

Postby dodya » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:47 am

Read the form you signed. It allows your doctor to communicate with other people involved in providing your care. Your friend is doctor shopping and needs psychiatric help, not a lawyer.

That's the answer. Reporting because you are angry won't do anything.
dodya

Postby barend31 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:48 am

to answer your poorly worded question, yes.
barend31

Postby claudius » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:03 am

You never state what this doctor actually told the other doctor, but doctors may share information with one another, under certain circumstances. For example, you move to a different city, your new doctor may request older files and whatnot on you from your former office. (if you sign the document in the beginning permitting them to do so, which most people do). Sometimes it is frustrating when doctors do this because it is possible (and very common) for doctors to get information wrong about patients. For example, while I was pregnant, my OB got my file mixed up with some else's, and told the hospital that there might be complications with my delivery because I smoked 2 packs of cigarettes a day throughout my pregnancy, which is absolutely untrue! I was so angry, and embarassed when the hospital asked me about this. All I could do was call my first doctor and tell him about the mistake he reported on me, which he refused to alter. Doctors are often like this, IMO. They contact one another and share (often downtight untruw) information about their patients, and theres often nothing the patients can do about it, undortunately. I hope all the best for your friend.
claudius

Return to Defamation Law