Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Tips for Achieving an Amicable Divorce

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Can my baby be taken off me by social services?

Discussions relating to Drug Laws

Postby zacchaeus21 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:56 am

I am 40. Ive never been in trouble, arrested, imprisoned, taken drugs, done anything illegal at all. I had a daughter when I was 20 and brought her up by myself perfectly well with no social services involvement whatsoever.

After 19 years apart from the love of my life (who was not the father of my now 19 year old daughter) we are now back together and want to get married and have a baby together.

He got married at 19 and had 2 children. The marriage broke up 6 years later and because both he and his then wife were drug users, she handed custody of the children over to her parents and got divorced. He then had to go through social services to see his children through contact centres. My now boyfriend still back then took drugs and went to prison 4 times for assault on a police officer and various possession of drug charges over the years.

He has now changed his life around, is off the drugs, holding down a legitimate job and paying his taxes and our life together is normal, law abiding and committed.

My question is, that if we had a baby together, particularly if we were married, would social services get involved because of his past and if so how would that be flagged up to them? Also does my legitimate and law abiding life not count, regardless of if we're married or not?

I would be grateful if anyone has the answers to these questions so that I know before I make decisions about my future. Thanks.
zacchaeus21

Postby arne33 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:00 am

there are just too many variables to give a complete reply BUT based off what you have said here they might well be interested and certainly might ask for drug tests to be given by both of you which will pop clear so that is not a worry.

The main issue they would be involved from the get go would be if he had any sex offences in his back ground...............this does not seem to be the case so they would more than likely take a wait and see approach to this case.

IF they do show any interest in your life and baby to come, then they are looking for certain signs, is the house clean, is the house warm and ready for baby, can you both pee clean, do you have food and the items the baby needs etc etc IF you can show and abide by what they ask the 1st time then good bet they would move on to the next person.
arne33

Postby seager » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:02 am

No social services would only become involved if you or your husband asked them for help or if one of the health service workers you see during your pregnancy or in the follow up services, such as the midwife, health visitor or doctor saw a reason for concern and contacted social services.
seager

Postby atworth49 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:08 am

Nothing is going to be flagged up anywhere. You have the baby, go home from hospital and that is that. They would only be interested if someone made a complaint about you.
Stop worrying, although they have a bad press in some cases, they would not be interested.
UK
atworth49

Postby mace » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:13 am

dont ever get in touch with social services. even though you sound like a decent pair, they cant be trusted.
mace

Postby sylvester37 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:27 am

Of course, don't you read the news?
sylvester37

Postby sheridan93 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:31 am

Let me guess, you voted for Obama right?
sheridan93

Postby hillocke » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:36 am

Social services COULD become involved, but if h can show that he is no longer a threat, nothing will come of it. Thy are not interested in taking children from good parents, only those who place the children at risk.

You are sleeping with a known drug user, so you have to expect that social services could become involved. YOUR job is to cooperate, give them all the assistance they need to confirm that you and your hubby will provide a safe and secure environment for the child.
hillocke

Postby tim » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:38 am

Trust me, NO-ONE would even BOTHER to knock on your door unless they are compelled.

The ONLY people you are going to see will be stressed out midwives, doctors and social workers who because of their already backlogged workload WILL NOT be willing to add to YOU the list.

They will do their job - that is make sure you and baby tick the correct boxes and off they will go on their merry way.

As long as you can fob them off with weak lame excuses as to why there's tiny holes on baby's arm, they'd be more than willing to accept it so they can go home to their tea.

Just don't allow the neighbours to see or hear anything to arouse suspicion. But perhaps, not to worry - unless there is blood splashed against THEIR walls they probably wouldn't care either.

Despite him being an EX-junkie - are you really SURE, YOU believe the leopard has changed his spots?

You say your future depends on our answers. Are you sane enough to look after baby?
tim

Postby thacher » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:42 am

If you are asking if they would merely swoop in and take the baby, the answer is no. They would investigate, and if they found dangers, they could in fact take the child. If he is clean with no issues (at the moment), then there should be no problems.

If they DO find dangers, they have the ability to say that the child may not be around HIM, which means that the two of you could not cohabitate WITH the child. Your law abiding life does not negate his being a danger to the child.

Social services wouldn't get involved without someone filing a complaint. Once they DO get involved, his history with them will come to light.

There is no pat answer here, there are a lot of variables.
thacher

Next

Return to Drug Laws