Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!  

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Can I sue for defamation of character in Ontario?

Defamation Law Discussion Forum

Postby jomei69 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:38 am

I am currently being threatened to be sued over a piece of furniture I bought 14 months ago- I have proof of this purchase, and yet they intend to sue. Anyway a girl on FB who knows the person suing me is saying in her status updates that I stole the piece of furniture. That Im a rotten person, and other rude things. I did not steal, I purchased it. And she has no involvement in the matter. But because she is saying all this stuff over FB and Twitter about me, using my name. Can I sue her for slander?
jomei69

Postby ayize » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:46 am

stating your own opinion is not slander. now being called a thief is one thing.....IF this is effecting you in any way (job wise, etc) and you have lost finances due to this "accusation" then you have grounds to sue. but if you havent suffered any type of setback due to the accusation then you really have nothing to sue for. if i were you, id let her sue and then counter sue for the slander be cause not only do you have proof of sale but you have proof that you did not steal the furniture, proving that she is committing slander.
ayize

Return to Defamation Law