Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Tips for Achieving an Amicable Divorce

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Can I sue for defamation of character and much can I sue for?

Defamation Law Discussion Forum

Postby eddis » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:38 am

I use to work at a retail store and they accused me of stealing money that I didn't take they have no evidence against me what so ever they quoted to me but yet still said they know I took the money which I'd like to know how they know I took something that I didn't I have been dealing with this for 6months now and I am pregnant and had to go to the hospital cause the stress of this got so bad my blood pressure was sky high the doctors were worried about my baby with my blood pressure so high they kept me there over night do I have a case can I sue my old job for what they've put me through
eddis

Postby ji » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:40 am

While you can file a lawsuit for anything as you don't need to prove anything to file a suit, you have no case. Defamation of character requires that they either say or publish the information to others. Telling you they think you stole is not defamation of character. Even if they file a police report there is no defamation of character unless you can prove malice on their part.
ji

Postby doran » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:41 am

Since you said they had no proof, i take it you were not arrested only fired. As far as you having to go to the hospital, your describing pain and suffering. Defamation of character would be if your work was spreading all over town that you are a thief. Either way I don't see you having much of a case to sue. Your best bet would be to not get so worked up about something in the past and focus on your baby's health now and move forward.
doran

Postby burt » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:44 am

Since you said they had no proof, i take it you were not arrested only fired. As far as you having to go to the hospital, your describing pain and suffering. Defamation of character would be if your work was spreading all over town that you are a thief. Either way I don't see you having much of a case to sue. Your best bet would be to not get so worked up about something in the past and focus on your baby's health now and move forward.
Why has this been going on this long? If they feel you took the money, they should report you to the police. If they don't feel there is enough evidence, then they need to stop bothering you. To keep bothering you (I assume you don't work there any more) is not defamation, but it may be harassment.

Write a letter, return receipt, to the manager stating that you do not wish to be contacted any further. Indicate that any future contact from the manager or the store employees will be reported to the police."
burt

Postby melville » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:00 am

Why has this been going on this long? If they feel you took the money, they should report you to the police. If they don't feel there is enough evidence, then they need to stop bothering you. To keep bothering you (I assume you don't work there any more) is not defamation, but it may be harassment.

Write a letter, return receipt, to the manager stating that you do not wish to be contacted any further. Indicate that any future contact from the manager or the store employees will be reported to the police."
Good Lord... you don't expect anyone to read or understand this do you? So let me see if I have a clear understanding. You want to be able to sue your former employer for, more or less, having a tough time during pregnancy. Unless someone at your old job got you pregnant against your will what do you think you can sue for? Did you bring a wrongful termination suit?
melville

Postby delron » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:07 am

There could only be a defamation case if they told others that you stole and did so with the knowledge that you didn't actually steal.

They didn't tell anyone other than you and they believe that you stole. No defamation.
delron

Postby rushford79 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:10 am

that is one big run-on sentence......

anyway. technically at WORK they can really fire you for any reason or no reason at all, but if they have no evidence and such then you probably can get unemployment for your troubles.
rushford79

Postby nemausus36 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:21 am

that is one big run-on sentence......

anyway. technically at WORK they can really fire you for any reason or no reason at all, but if they have no evidence and such then you probably can get unemployment for your troubles.
Is it really that difficult to consider using proper punctuation?

Why would you consider a lawsuit...which is stressful in itself...when you obviously cannot handle stress?
nemausus36

Postby adin55 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:23 am

You better have some money up front for a lawyer. You'll need to have all your facts straight, times, names, statements before a lawyer will touch this.
adin55

Postby pete » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:29 am

No. But you might sue the school you went to for failing to make you literate in English.
pete

Next

Return to Defamation Law