Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!  

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Can I sue a person twice for the same thing?

Defamation Law Discussion Forum

Postby ailwyn » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:36 am

I have been forced to Sue my ex sister in law for a cell phone bill she stuck me with. I already went to small claims court and put the paperwork in to start the process. On the form it asks the amount you are trying to get back.... my problem is before I did anything I spoke with the phone company to get a dollar amount so I can be exact... well a couple weeks ago (after I turned in paperwork) I got another bill for the last month of service... I thought the dollar amount given to me included that... its too late to amend my submission so my question is would it be legal (in the state of Texas) to Sue the same person twice for the same thing? I will try to give her a chance to pay it but I know she wont... what should I do?
ailwyn

Postby aescby » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:40 am

It is not too late to amend your filing. If the case had already been decided in court, it would be too late.

But you are not suing twice for the same thing, in this case. You are just suing once but amending your complaint before the judge hears the case and issues the ruling.

The clerk at the court will be able to help you complete the proper paperwork to amend.
aescby

Postby maddox » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:44 am

It is not too late to amend your filing. If the case had already been decided in court, it would be too late.

But you are not suing twice for the same thing, in this case. You are just suing once but amending your complaint before the judge hears the case and issues the ruling.

The clerk at the court will be able to help you complete the proper paperwork to amend.
When you go to court ask the judge if you amend your claim as new information has come to light. The judge will take this into account. A judge always has final say.
maddox

Postby aethelbert35 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:52 am

why would u sue a person twice when u could just slap a *****?
aethelbert35

Postby orlondo100 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:59 am

I"M GONNA COUNTER SUE YOU LYING SACK OF SH!T
orlondo100

Return to Defamation Law