Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Research Law Professors Before Choosing Law Schools

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Can i return a used car from a dealership if i'm not satisfied within 30 days?

Defamation Law Discussion Forum

Postby pascoe69 » Sun May 27, 2012 9:48 pm

i financed a used car from a dealership that was advertise at $7,900 on the car and on the internet the agreed upon price came to $7,500. i put $3000 down, the dealer some how was able to change the price on the paper work to $10,000 i only found this out after the bank faxed me the paper work, the dealer refused to give me a receipt or copy of the contract even after i repeatedly asked, i have him on tape telling me that i finance $5,450 and the bank says that he actually financed the car for 10.000 my question what is the law is there a 30day return policy in place in this situation?
pascoe69

Postby veto » Sun May 27, 2012 9:53 pm

take the tape and all papers to a lawyer and file a case on dealer for fraud and also seek for compensation.. don't be late consult a lawyer before you get in trouble
veto

Postby montgomery69 » Sun May 27, 2012 10:08 pm

take the tape and all papers to a lawyer and file a case on dealer for fraud and also seek for compensation.. don't be late consult a lawyer before you get in trouble
Sounds like your dealer is guilty of fraud. Since you know he changed the paperwork you also have to wonder what he sent to the bank. You may be indebted to them for more than you know.
Most larger towns and cities usually have Legal Aid, which is lawyers who will help you for FREE or only a small amount. You do need a lawyer AND FAST. I'm just afraid a yellow pages lawyer would be more expensive than the car. You need to get on this fast. Go to your local Yellow Pages and look up "Lawyers Associations". Legal aid should be listed there. If not contact the local Bar Associatio ofr Lawyers.It will be in the same category.
Every state has different laws about returning a used car for a refund. In most cases all used cars are sold "as is" which means it's your tough luck if you drive it home and the transmission falls out. In your case your problem isn't about the CONDITION of the car, It's about the fraudulent paperwork.
If there is a branch bank in your area I would take all your paperwork and talk to the local manager.
Good luck.
montgomery69

Postby dallen47 » Sun May 27, 2012 10:13 pm

Call the lender... have them send you the application with YOUR signature on it. Have them send you a copy of the buyer's order with figures, with YOUR signature on it.

If the dealer refuses to give you copies of the paperwork (leaving there without this should have been a HUGE red flag), then indeed pursue this with an attorney. 98% of dealers are honest, but some jacka$$es exist.

However, there is NO state in the US that has a "30-day" return period... or 30 minutes for that matter. Once you sign papers and drive off, the car is yours. California has a 48-hour period, but this is something that is purchased at point-of-sale, not automatic.
dallen47

Postby stephon14 » Sun May 27, 2012 10:15 pm

No you can't. Not within 30 days - not within 30 minutes. There is no right to return a vehicle. If you can prove fraud, then you can sue the dealer.
stephon14

Postby kendon19 » Sun May 27, 2012 10:32 pm

There is no return policy or cooling off period for used cars in most states. You should have read the contract "BEFORE" you signed it and there would have been no surprises. The amount the lender is showing on the paperwork is most likely the total amount to be paid including all interest over the period of the loan. This is a federal truth in lending requirement. Keep the car, make your payments and enjoy. Good Luck
kendon19

Postby elkanah1 » Sun May 27, 2012 10:37 pm

No return policy.

You can try suing him but my guess is the judge wont even listen to you tape and would say the contract stands.

What you signed is what counts.
elkanah1

Postby aswynn81 » Sun May 27, 2012 10:39 pm

Post your state, laws differ widely btwn states.

But this seems a clear cut case of finance fraud, so I'd contact state atty general's office on consumer fraud, and state banking commish, and state dept of consumer protection.

Some states like CA, have a return period.

All, or almost all, states have an Implied Warranty of Merchantability that says the item sold must be fit for its intended purpose or buyer gets refund or repair.

So, many used car buyers have a warranty they dont know abt bc it's implied, meaning buyers dont get paper work for it, but it exists in many cases bc the sale was made.

It often overrides or alters As Is contracts.

Usually the IWM applies to mechanical probs, but its crucial to read your state's most recent version.

========

http://www.atg.wa.gov/page.aspx?id=25024 WA State Atty Gen. Implied Warranty
"Every used car sold by a dealer in WA for personal use has an implied warranty of merchantability. This means
“the dealer promises the used car will be will be fit for ordinary driving purposes,
“reasonably safe, without major defects, and of the average quality of similar cars available for sale in the same price range.
“A car can only be sold without the implied warranty if the customer knowingly agreed to waive the warranty and
“was provided with a statement of the particular characteristics or parts of the car that aren’t covered
aswynn81

Postby weiford » Sun May 27, 2012 10:49 pm

There is no federal law requiring a car dealer or a person selling a car to take a car back. You don't have 24 hours during which you can change your mind, you don't have three days to reconsider - when you buy a car it becomes your property. Almost every used car is sold "As is" - specifically stating that in the contract.

There are laws in a few states that make car returns possible in certain situations.

http://www.squidoo.com/car-return
weiford

Return to Defamation Law