Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!  

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Can I remarry after conversion to Islam?

Family Law Discussion Forum

Postby hawiovi » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:52 am

I had a arranged marriage which was solemnised according to Hindu Rites. After 2 years, I filed for Divorce on cruelty grounds as my wife's nature is not compatible with me and we constantly had quarrels with each other. As a result, I had completely lost all sexual interest in her. In response, my wife filed for maintenance and threatened to file a 498A complaint against me and my family. As a result, I had to withdraw my divorce petition. My wife says she cannot consent for a divorce even though we cannot live as husband and wife together. I am unable to bear this and want to marry someone with whom I can have sexual relationship. Can somebody answer me if I can convert to Islam and marry again without my present wife's consent and without me or my wife of second marriage having to face any consequences? I am ready to pay if any lawyer could provide me his written and expressed legal advice or opinion any supporting case-laws. No Emotional or irrelevant answers please.
hawiovi

Postby elton » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:00 am

Already married Hindu man, having the Hindu marriage intact if convert to Muslim religion & remarries to Muslim woman will be charged for the offence of Bigamy (section 494, 495 IPC)for which the jail sentence of seven years & fine exist.
For charges of dowry & cruelty etc punishable under section 498A IPC the maximum punishment is three years & fine.
To get punished under section 498A IPC is bleak as to prove these charges the wife may not be able to secure sufficient evidence against the husband but for charges under section 494 IPC the offence of bigamy, the first wife need to give evidence of the first marriage of the accused with her & proof of his conversion to Muslim religion & his second marriage according to Muslim religion that she can procure such record from the Qasi/Muslim Priest who was associated with these activities and get her complaint under section 494 IPC succeed, thus sending her husband for seven years long honeymoon with his new wife.
elton

Postby matyas » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:08 am

You can marry via ISLAM to other ladies earlier Actor Dharmendra has been done but before any permission of first wife, it is not possible. at first you should take divorce then you should do anything otherwise you will in big problem.
matyas

Postby urian27 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:13 am

yes you can.
urian27

Postby darvell » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:18 am

u can do. go ahead
darvell

Return to Family Law