Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Tips for Achieving an Amicable Divorce

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Can I pay speeding ticket with prepaid visa?

Been involved in a traffic accident? Discuss traffic laws here

Postby chavivi » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:07 pm

I live in Upstate NY and have been asked specifically to mail in my fine by credit/debit, money order, or certified check. I was wondering if I could purchase a prepaid visa, like a greendot card, to pay off my fine to the courts or does the debit card have to be linked to a bank account (which I don't have)?
chavivi

Postby charlot22 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:14 pm

A prepaid debit card is not linked to a personal bank it is linked to the bank that owns the card, yes you could pay it with that but why?

Why would you not just buy a money order for 89 cents at a drug store or grocery store and pay it off that way? Then you would have a copy of the receipt to show when you mailed it off and what it was for.

You have to pay upwards of $3.00 to get a prepaid debit card like you were talking about and you do not get any sort of proof that the fine was paid. At least with a money order you can write the reason for it on the money order and the part you keep and it would be cheaper.

Your choice but to me paying with a money order would be better money wise and gives you a better way of tracking that the payment was made.

You will not get a statement with a prepaid Visa Card to prove anything
charlot22

Postby scirwode » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:16 pm

cash only
scirwode

Return to Traffic Law