Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!  

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Can I legally use firearms for target practice on my private property?

Discuss anything to do with property law - buying, selling property

Postby abelard29 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:22 pm

I live in el dorado county, CA on 5 acres. Is there a website anyone knows about where I can find out more information on my rights and restrictions?
abelard29

Postby tate8 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:26 pm

Yes.
tate8

Postby michelangelo » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:33 pm

Check with the Sherrifs dept. My county has an ordinance prohibiting the discharging of a firearm within 1,000 feet of a neighbors house. Your county may or may not have a similiar ordinance.
michelangelo

Postby colten » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:38 pm

Yes.

And to the person who mentions a county ordinance, California State law does not allow cities or counties to make ordinances about firearms. Firearms law is identical statewide.

You may not shoot within city limits, toward or within 300 ft of an occupied building, or toward a road or recognized trail, and you must have a 'sufficient' backstop. In addition you must comply with all county noise ordinances. (The Courts will not uphold 'unreasonable' noise ordinances designed to prevent shooting)

Richard
colten

Postby avikar76 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:46 pm

If you are in the county, probably. Best to call or stop by the Sheriff's office and ask.

There might be safety issues with firing guns on your property. A target only stops a bullet if it's designed to do so and maintained properly and you don't miss the target. Bullets fly much further than 5 acres covers.
avikar76

Postby lalla3 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:48 pm

Good backstop is critical
I have a full time target range on mine
lalla3

Postby mace » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:54 pm

Richard's answers are usually spot on, but I am afraid he missed the mark on this one. State law governs the POSSESSION of firearms, but local government can, and does, regulate where firearms can be discharged. Within city limits, state law says it is illegal to possess a loaded firearm in public, and most cities have regulations concerning whether firearms can be discharged in private places (restricting it to gun ranges, etc.).

State law does not prohibit possessing a loaded firearm outside of city limits UNLESS shooting has been restricted in such areas by the county. For example, Los Angeles County has many districts within which shooting is prohibited, and where it is consequently illegal to possess a loaded firearm.

My search of the El Dorado County Code (which is applicable only outside city limits) shows that shooting is restricted in the Lake Valley area (outside of a range you can only fire a shotgun with small caliber ammo--EDCC 9.44.060). You cannot shoot in or across a park. (EDCC 9.46.240.) You cannot shoot within 500 feet of an airport except at a range. (EDCC 9.44.050.) There do not appear to be any other general restrictions upon shooting, except that you cannot shoot over private land without the consent of the landowner (EDCC 9.44.040), and you cannot shoot from a boat or across a lake or reservoir, except for use of a shotgun to hunt waterfowl (EDCC 12.60.040).

Bottom line: as far as I can tell, so long as you are not within city limits or in the Lake Valley area, you should be able to discharge your firearm on your property. I would suggest checking with the local Sheriff to be sure.
mace

Return to Property Law