Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Research Law Professors Before Choosing Law Schools

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Can I Legally Move Out at 17?

Family Law Discussion Forum

Postby ludano17 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:16 am

Hi,

The short version is, can a person legally move out of their parents' house at the age of 17, in North Carolina? If so, can they leave the state, or do the laws vary from place to place, so I'd have to stay here?

I'm currently stuck in a bad situation with my family (verbal abuse, constant arguing, and a filthy home), and I'd like to get out as soon as possible. I have a decent amount of money (about $3500) saved up from summer jobs, and may have quite a bit more (a relative of mine recently died, and left me some, but I don't yet know how much, or if I'll be able to get it from my mother) by time I leave. I believe I am capable of living on my own, and would likely move in with my half-brother (who is 20; we share a father, but he signed neither of our birth certificates and we only found each other fairly recently, so there is nothing to legally say we're related) and a mutual friend.
ludano17

Postby sampson » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:31 am

If your parents dont care, and you keep in school, you can go anywhere you want. But if you just turned 17 consider instead filing for legal emancipation from them (you can do this if youre over 16 and have lived there for like a year I think it is). It might help for you to talk to a lawyer just to find out for sure what you can and cant do, instead of relying on strangers on the internet.
sampson

Postby hagaleah » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:37 am

Yes if it is for a good reason, you can get emancipated (granted legal adult status) as a minor, and you will be able to move out.
hagaleah

Postby hewlett » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:46 am

Yes. But it's a long process.
hewlett

Return to Family Law