Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Research Law Professors Before Choosing Law Schools

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Can I get sued for defamation of character if I'm telling the truth?

Defamation Law Discussion Forum

Postby hawiovi » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:20 pm

Very problematical as this guy is stalking you.

If you have not responded, don't indicate in any way you received the letter. Beware of certified mail you're not expecting.

The first defense to defamation is that the defamation is true. You can defame someone, provided you can prove all of it. This info you got from others may or may not be true. You have no way of actually verifying this. He may be posing as some of those people. It would be prudent to take the blog down now. If anything you have posted is untrue, he may have you.

If he attempts to contact you, do not respond. Call the cops. Keep records of everything: what you already have and dates, times when he calls, letters you receive, texts or emails.

Block all of his known addresses. He can change email addresses, so if you're really serious, change yours. Go through all of your online profiles and set them to private. Remove all personal information. Post you moved on your facebook prior to setting it to private. Google yourself, look at the listings: have your address/phone etc removed from anything you didn't ask for it to be on. This may take some work. I am fastidious about my privacy, but can find my info all over the internet anyway. A lot of info is public record so an intrepid stalker can find you.
hawiovi

Postby cleirach70 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:23 pm

too long to read but you should call the police instead of arguing with that idiot. It's pointless to argue with a person you don't know. The more you call him names and talk to him, he'll keep harassing you and your family. Learn to shutup and call the police.
cleirach70

Postby kirklin » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:30 pm

Might want to get all your proof together and figure out what your going to do. Don't reply to him at all speak to a lawyer if he continues.
kirklin

Postby coinleain » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:35 pm

of course you can be sued. whether the other person can win is a different question and that's why you hire an attorney if you are sued.

most such fools are more noise than action. especially if they're not represented by an attorney.

what you do is protect your evidence and line up your witnesses. then if you are sued, you hire an attorney and counter-sue him for filing false claims and defamation of character, plus the cost of defending yourself from his suit which, since it is baseless, is harassment intended to cause you to spend money needlessly to defend yourself.
coinleain

Return to Defamation Law