Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Research Law Professors Before Choosing Law Schools

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Can I do anything if my neighbor threatened me?

Discuss anything to do with property law - buying, selling property

Postby sonny » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:22 am

My next door neighbor has made complaints against us ( Board of Health, DEP, Conservation Commission)- all unfounded. When I told him that I knew it was him ( I saw his name on the complaint)- he said- "I should hang you right now- do you know what you're doing down there! ( OUR own yard) The town Conservation Commission has approved any yard maintenance that we are doing. I went to the police station after the threat and the Lt.said he could go speak with him,but it might make him more upset and make things worse. What about me? I have always minded my own business, and now this neighbor walks by my house and makes me nervous and points to our property when he's at the other neighbor's house- and we are not doing anything wrong! What are my options?
sonny

Postby burdett » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:27 am

idk.
burdett

Postby unss94 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:35 am

You want to know all of your options? You can sit down and watch reruns of Gilligan's Island if you wish.

If you have a meaningful question about the law of some specific place, be sure to mention what city, county, state or nation is involved. There are NO universal laws.
unss94

Postby patwin87 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:40 am

******* hit the [email protected] him u ain't scared (even if you are) and he will not mess with you again.but get him in your property cos if he hits you back he will get arrested cos he is trespassing
patwin87

Postby teyrnon72 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:49 am

Buy a pistol and if it is legal in your State to open carry get a holster and put it on your hip, then when he walks by just say hi neighbor and turn and walk away (I would also get surveillance cameras installed so when you get arrested for "threatening him" with the gun you will have proof you did not and or if he carries out his threats to harm you, you can prove it was self defense).
teyrnon72

Postby bercnan72 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:54 am

You've reported it to the police. Make sure you keep the Lt's name and if you receive any further threats of violence report them again and demand that they charge the guy.
bercnan72

Postby hwistlere31 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:01 am

You can file a formal complaint against your neighbor for the threat and harassment. Right now, you've just talked to one police Lt. informally. You can call the DA and ask if they will prosecute. You can also go to court, w/ or w/o a lawyer, to ask for TRO and preliminary injunction aka "stay away order" requiring him to keep his distance. If you don't have money for a lawyer, the court may have an advice desk or someone who will tell you what you need to do to get a TRO.
hwistlere31

Postby dodya » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:09 am

go watch lakeview terrace
dodya

Postby zackary42 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:19 am

You need to keep a journal with anything this man's says including dates and time. A history of verbal threats etc. may become more important than you realize, especially if someone does go through with or tries to follow through with a threat. Verbal assault and harassment are legally criminal actions. Be VERY sure you record everything.
zackary42

Return to Property Law