Welcome to Law-Forums.org!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Can I Become A Detective After My Four Years In The Marines?

Criminal Law Discussion Forum

Postby West » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:06 pm

Hello Commander Chris Wagoner I had just turned 17 and I am currently a senior in high school. After I graduate my plan is to go straight to the Marines.But I just want to do my basic 4 years and discharge. But after I wanted to become a detective and I was just wandering what do I have to do or can I go straight to becoming a detective?
West

Postby Bornani » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:51 pm

Hi Iazes,

I commend you for thinking of the Marines. Good for you! Well I am glad to hear you are thinking ahead. A Detective? That’s great. I was one for 7 years.

There are a few things you can do that would help you out in a law enforcement career. Some high schools offer courses in criminal justice, those would be helpful. Also check out the Explorer Program. There may be a post in your area and they are a great way to get to know law enforcement and the job. I started out as a police explorer at the ripe old age of 13! And I have been doing law enforcement ever since.(http://www.learning-for-life.org/exploring/lawenforcement/)

Getting a college degree is going to be very important. I know you said you are wantign to go into the Marines, but a college degree is what many departments require for their officers and especially the detective. Courses in Criminology, Criminal Forensics, Criminalistics, Abnormal Psychology all help a Detective. So start thinking about that. Even a 2 year would be very very helpful. I have 2 in criminal justice and they are very helpful. Some departments require them to get hired, and some require it to get promoted. Either way getting that college degree is important.

Some departments require a certain number of years as a patrol officer before you can apply for the position of Detective. The requirements are up to the department. Some are as little as a year, and some are more.

What kind of Detective do you want to be? You know there are many different types. Here is a short description of some of the different types:

Major Cases Section: includes the Aggravated Felonies Unit, Homicide, Cold Cases, Traffic Homicide, the Bomb Unit and the Analytical Support Unit. These units investigate the most serious crimes that threaten society: aggravated assault, aggravated battery, stalking, kidnapping, murder, bombings and arsons.

Special Victims and Family Crimes Section: includes the Abuse and Neglect Unit, the Sex Crimes Unit, the Missing Persons Unit and the Domestic Violence Unit. Created in May 2000, this section takes a holistic approach to dealing with crimes stemming from intra-family dysfunction and violence.

Abuse and neglect of any family member(spouses/partners, children, elderly, the frail or infirm and animal companions) are investigated by detectives who also work to identify other family members who are equally at risk. With early identification and intervention, through outreach and educational efforts and through victim empowerment, vulnerable family members can break free from the cycle of violence or abuse.

Strategic Cases Section: includes the Career Criminal Unit, the Robbery Unit, the Economic Crimes Unit, the Polygraph Unit and the Case Filing Unit.

The Career Criminal Unit is an aggressive and highly proactive unit. The unit targets both juvenile and adult habitual offenders, and tracks and updates files on sexual predators and offenders residing in Broward County.

The Economic Crime Unit is a leader in the investigation and prosecution of unscrupulous telemarketers in South Florida and handles other serious financial crimes involving fraud and identity theft.

Here is a list of just some of the additional units available in the police department:

Aviation Unit Bicycle Patrol Bomb Squad Canine Unit Child Protective Investigations Section Contractor Licensing and Fraud Unit Crime Scene and Crime Lab Crime Stoppers Unit DUI Unit Economic Crime Unit Evidence Unit Marine Unit and Dive Team Mass Transit Unit Motorcycle Unit Mounted Patrol Regional Investigations Division School Resource Deputy Unit SWAT Team Victim Services Unit And that is not all of them!!!!

So you see there are many other specialty units you can get into also.

I hope this gives you a few ideas and things to think about. Also keep your driving record clean, that’s almost as important as keeping your criminal record clean and not using any drugs.

Stay safe and god luck!  
Bornani

Postby Boase » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:36 pm

Hello Commander Chris Wagoner I had just turned 17 and I am currently a senior in high school. After I graduate my plan is to go straight to the Marines.But I just want to do my basic 4 years and discharge. But after I wanted to become a detective and I was just wandering what do I have to do or can I go straight to becoming a detective?
Boase

Return to Criminal Law