Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Tips for Achieving an Amicable Divorce

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Can I be arrested or put in jail for not attending a small claims court hearing?

Defamation Law Discussion Forum

Can I be arrested or put in jail for not attending a small claims court hearing?

Postby chason58 » Sat May 05, 2012 8:49 pm

i received a letter stating that I am being taken to my city's district court for a small claim (from a collection agency) i already know i'm going to lose, so if I don't show up, can I be arrested? i live in massachusetts.
chason58

Postby barraq » Sat May 05, 2012 9:07 pm

No. But you will lose and they will obtain a judgement showing that you owe them money. This will allow them to go back to court to get liens and levies and wage garnishments to seize any money you have. My advice is to call them and try to settle.
barraq

Postby abisha » Sat May 05, 2012 9:11 pm

If you do not show you have no shot at negotiating a lesser settlement. If you are a no-show a judgment will be filed against you. That is like a lien in that you will not be able to buy, sell or get a loan until the judgment is settled. Settlement will include interest.

So ignoring the judgment you will not be arrested and incarcerated but will only make it more expensive for you down the road. Show up and at the very least you will have a chance to negotiate a settlement.
abisha

Postby hampton83 » Sat May 05, 2012 9:19 pm

Either that ull be thrown in jail for contempt and failure to show up. like 8 hours later you will be released billed if not you cant pay will probably put and or used against ur credit score.
hampton83

Return to Defamation Law