Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Tips for Achieving an Amicable Divorce

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

CA EDD: What is "NOTICE OF DETERMINATION OF INVALID CLAIM, SECTION 1277" ?

Workers Compensation Law Discussion

Postby barend31 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:16 pm

I've been receiving unemployed for just over a year now. My last day worked was 3/15/11 and to my knowledge my next UIB check will be the first of my 2nd extension of benefits. However, I just received a notice in the mail with the above heading, dated 3/15/12, and it states: "In order to have a valid claim, Section 1277 requires that you were paid or earned at least $1,300 as an employee in one quarter during the period from 03/13/11 to 03/10/12 and performed some work; or that you were paid or earned at least $900 as an employee in the quarter of your highest earnings and earned at least 1.25 times your high quarter earnings during the above period and performed some work. You may also qualify if you were not paid unemployment insurance benefits on your last claim but were disabled and received disability insurance benefits or workers' compensation benefits during the above period. Disability or workers' compensation benefits that you received in the above period may be considered as wages toward meeting the monetary requirement of Section 1277, if you performed some work during this same period."
If you are familiar with this form, there are boxes labeled A-E. My notice has only A checked and it states: "You were not paid nor did you earn wages of at least $1,300 as an employee in one quarter during the above period." There is an additional box below A-E that states: "THIS DETERMINATION DOES NOT AFFECT YOUR CLAIM FOR EXTENDED BENEFITS" and this box is checked.
I'm pretty much lost, does this mean that, due to the decrease in my income for 2011, my UI benefits will now be reduced or stopped altogether? It's incredibly difficult to get through to EDD on the phone and actually speak to someone. How can I find out what's going on? Would they really deny my claim or reduce my benefits because I haven't been able to find a job? What kind of assistance is that? If I were able to obtain employment I wouldn't have needed or still be in need of the benefits from my claim. Is there anyone that knows the answers or at least be able to give me some further insight on the situation? Thank you!
barend31

Postby ryscford » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:23 pm

you should ask your local state office what all that means
ryscford

Postby vohkinne » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:29 pm

It means you do not have enough wage credits to continue to receive unemployment, and need to be requalified again. Once your extensions run out you will need to work to establish a base period of employment and earn enough to qualify for unemployment again. Most likely you can have a hearing to determine if you requalify.
vohkinne

Return to Workers Compensation