Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Buy At Sheriff's Auction

Having a dispute with a tenant or landlord? Rental Law discussion

Buy At Sheriff's Auction

Postby Kano » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:48 pm

My husband and I had a purchase agreement with a seller. We found out that it was a short sale and all parties agreed to the price. Then 5 days before the closing the home owner filed for bankruptcy so she wouldn't have to move. The house was sent back to the bank(through the courts) and is now going up for auction at the sheriff's sale(we are in Louisiana). We are planning on buying the house at the auction with certified funds that day. My question is that the home owner is still in the house. We are allowed into the house bc we will pay 100% the day of the auction. Will we have to go through the eviction process to get her out? Or will we be able to take a sheriff there and have her removed?  
Kano

Buy At Sheriff's Auction

Postby Bramwell » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:38 pm

The eviction process really varies from area to area.  You need to contact the Sheriff Department and explain that you are planning to purchase a property at auction and the former owner may still be there.  Then ask the procedure and timetable for removing that person.

If you have full rights to the property the day of the sale then the eviction process may be started very quickly in most areas.  But yo want to be sure of just how your county handles this.

Let me know what you find out.

Steele
Bramwell

Return to Rental Law