Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Breathalyzer Vs. Bac Calculators

Been involved in a traffic accident? Discuss traffic laws here

Postby winfrid12 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:48 am

My breathalyzer results supposedly were .114% but after having used about 10 different BAC calculators on the web, it seems highly unlikely that my BAC would've been anywhere near that high.  How much variance is there in readings?

I had 6 16 oz.(3.2% in Utah) beers, and 1(possibly 2) shots of 80 proof alcohol over 5.5 hours(9pm to 1am, when bars stop selling alcohol in Utah + 90 minutes before being tested at 2:34am).  I am 35 yr. old male, 225 lbs.

Most calculators indicated I should've been below .08 at that point(some even down to .04).

Just wondering about the accuracy of both breathalyzers and online calculators(using NHTSA formulas).
winfrid12

Postby Kendall » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:37 am

Hi Doug,

There are all kinds of factors that can affect the actual BAC level besides weight, age and time. All indicators you find are a bit like those charts that say how much you should weigh according to how tall you are, which do not account for how large your skeleton is and such. They are too general to be realy accurate.

On the other hand, the breathalyzer, itself, and I am assuming her that Utah uses the same machine we use in Texas, has a lot of problems associated with it. A good DWI defense attorney should know about such. As always, if you really think you are not guilty of DWI/DUI, do get yourself a good attorney to assist you in the case. My advice about how to find one is to go to the court where your case is set and ask the clerks and bailiff who they would hire if they wanted to fight a DWI/DUI case. In almost all cases, in my experience, they know who is most successful and will be glad to let tell you such.

Good luck,

Terence A. Russell
Kendall

Postby Conny » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:27 am

My breathalyzer results supposedly were .114% but after having used about 10 different BAC calculators on the web, it seems highly unlikely that my BAC would've been anywhere near that high.  How much variance is there in readings?

I had 6 16 oz.(3.2% in Utah) beers, and 1(possibly 2) shots of 80 proof alcohol over 5.5 hours(9pm to 1am, when bars stop selling alcohol in Utah + 90 minutes before being tested at 2:34am).  I am 35 yr. old male, 225 lbs.

Most calculators indicated I should've been below .08 at that point(some even down to .04).

Just wondering about the accuracy of both breathalyzers and online calculators(using NHTSA formulas).
Conny

Return to Traffic Law