Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Best Home Air Conditioning System Florida

Discuss Labor Laws

Postby Ephraim » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:28 pm

Hi, We have to replace our Rudd system and have been getting extimates.  A few have recommended Comfortair systems but they are the suppliers in the area.(the guy here right now is pushing the Lenox) My question is: Can you give me a rating of the systems out there?  Don't really want the highest end nor the lowest. We live in Destin Florida which is on the north west coast in the panhandle.  It gets very hot here and sometimes rather cold.  help!!

ANSWER: D,  If you want the best for the money it would be a Trane.  That is what I put in even my parents house.  It is the most reliable equipment out there and has fantastic warranties.  Lennox is also great, but will be the most.  Would not do the comfort air, but the middle of the road is Rheem/Ruud(same company) and Carrier products, Day & Night, Payne and Bryant, all also carrier.  Right now there should be up to over 3 grand in rebates and tax incentives on Trane heat pumps.  And because your winters are relativly mild, a heat pump would be the most economicle for you to run.   Just be sure if you use standard Electric heat back up(typical with a heat pump) that during the heating season you use a good programmable thermostat with an " adaptive intellegent recovery" which eliminates the strip heats in all but extreem cold conditions.  (strip heat is 4 times as expensive)  I recommend a Honeywell 8000 vision pro thermostat.  Has everything you need, easy to read, has green led back light for ease of vision even at night and even comes with a 5 year warranty.  Although of the thopusands I have installed only 2 have ever had to be replaced under warranty.  Don't fall for the extended warranty.  Instead it is critical to have the equipment installed correctly, especially the copper tubing, welding of it and the evacuation of it once installed.  The difference in that part of the install could mean the difference(on any equipment) between no failure of the compressor ever or one every 5 years at 1,500 to 2,000 a pop.  I would be happy to work with you when the installation is being done to insure that it is done correctly and have you send me the start up data from the tech to make sure it was done correctly, including the refrigerant charge.  Stay away from ammana, goodman arco air especially, they are contractors models and not made well.  Ultimately the Trane will pay for the slightly higher price and then the lack of breakdown/repair costs will also pay its way.    I would ask and insist also that the company you choose has N.A.T.E certified workers

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

What do you think of these bids?

This is from the guy who seemed the most knowledgable, he is the only Lennox guy around here so he is all about them. The other bids were~ 1)  3,615.00 for a  2 ton 410 comfortmaker system 10 yrs parts 1 yr labor x 2 for two if we want to replace both now(bottom one is okay for the moment) @ $6,730.00.

2) Other bid was a goodman:>((1) system 3,370. 10 yr parts and 1 yr labor  Lastly,  bid was a  comfort maker 2 x 2-ton $2600 each for total of $5200 for replacing both no warranty This is his bid:

First floor Install 1(one) 2.0 ton 13 seer Lennox R410A heatpump system with a 7kw heatstrip. 1(one) Lennox digital thermostat.

Secondary drainline overflow cut off switch.

____(Two thousand five hundred) ______________________________________________$2,500.00

2nd and 3rd floor:

Install 1(one) 2.5 ton 13 seer Lennox R410A heatpump system with a 7kw heatstrip.

1(one) Lennox digital thermostat.

___(Three thousand seven hundred) ____________________________________________$3,700.00 Two system total price:

_____(Six thousand) _________________________________________________________$6,000.00

Option: 2

___14 seer ___(Six thousand five hundred) _______________________________________$6,500.00

Option: 3  

TAX CREDIT

___(Seven thousand five hundred) _____________________________________________$7,500.00

Option: 3 DEHUMIDIFICATION PACKAGE

___(Eight hundred) __________________________________________________________$800.00

Scope of work:

Delete existing platform in second floor and hang Air handler. Removal and disposal of old equipment.

Flush and clean existing refrigerant copper linesets. Flush and clean existing condensate drain lines.

Installation and full system start up of new equipment. Warranty:      1 year labor, 10 year parts and 10 compressor warranties.

Payment type:   Due up on completion A monthly service charge in the amount of 1.8% will be assessed in the event payment is not received in accordance with this contract. Hawaiian Air Florida Inc. will exercise its rights to collect any unpaid balances under the fullest extent of the law. Buyer agrees to pay all fees, filling cost and court cost and all attorney costs and other fees incurred or involved in such action. Any change orders will be executed only upon written notice. Hawaiian Air Florida will not accept responsibility for any delays beyond our control.          Respectfully Submitted by_______________________________

Eddie Gonzalez Hawaiian Air Florida(mirimar beach) F          we appreciate the opportunity to furnish a bid                    Acceptance: The above prices, specifications and condition terms are hereby accepted. You authorize to do the work as specified .Payment will be made in accordance with your terms as listed above.

Date: ____________________ Authorizing authority: ___________________________________.

ANSWER:   I cannot go through your bids with you and I also do not do private help.  I volunteer my time to help as many aqs possible.  The one Thing I would caution you on is the use of the existing line sets.  The oils that the 2 refrigerants use are not compatable with each other and no amount of flushing will remove all the oil residue.  Not matter what they say, this will shorten the life of your new equipment

Are you saying then that we need to have new line sets and if so what is an average cost for that?  Also what do you truly think of Lennox? Thanks
Ephraim

Postby Bayne » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:29 pm

Hi, We have to replace our Rudd system and have been getting extimates.  A few have recommended Comfortair systems but they are the suppliers in the area.(the guy here right now is pushing the Lenox) My question is: Can you give me a rating of the systems out there?  Don't really want the highest end nor the lowest. We live in Destin Florida which is on the north west coast in the panhandle.  It gets very hot here and sometimes rather cold.  help!!

ANSWER: D,  If you want the best for the money it would be a Trane.  That is what I put in even my parents house.  It is the most reliable equipment out there and has fantastic warranties.  Lennox is also great, but will be the most.  Would not do the comfort air, but the middle of the road is Rheem/Ruud(same company) and Carrier products, Day & Night, Payne and Bryant, all also carrier.  Right now there should be up to over 3 grand in rebates and tax incentives on Trane heat pumps.  And because your winters are relativly mild, a heat pump would be the most economicle for you to run.   Just be sure if you use standard Electric heat back up(typical with a heat pump) that during the heating season you use a good programmable thermostat with an " adaptive intellegent recovery" which eliminates the strip heats in all but extreem cold conditions.  (strip heat is 4 times as expensive)  I recommend a Honeywell 8000 vision pro thermostat.  Has everything you need, easy to read, has green led back light for ease of vision even at night and even comes with a 5 year warranty.  Although of the thopusands I have installed only 2 have ever had to be replaced under warranty.  Don't fall for the extended warranty.  Instead it is critical to have the equipment installed correctly, especially the copper tubing, welding of it and the evacuation of it once installed.  The difference in that part of the install could mean the difference(on any equipment) between no failure of the compressor ever or one every 5 years at 1,500 to 2,000 a pop.  I would be happy to work with you when the installation is being done to insure that it is done correctly and have you send me the start up data from the tech to make sure it was done correctly, including the refrigerant charge.  Stay away from ammana, goodman arco air especially, they are contractors models and not made well.  Ultimately the Trane will pay for the slightly higher price and then the lack of breakdown/repair costs will also pay its way.    I would ask and insist also that the company you choose has N.A.T.E certified workers

What do you think of these bids?

This is from the guy who seemed the most knowledgable, he is the only Lennox guy around here so he is all about them. The other bids were~ 1)  3,615.00 for a  2 ton 410 comfortmaker system 10 yrs parts 1 yr labor x 2 for two if we want to replace both now(bottom one is okay for the moment) @ $6,730.00.

2) Other bid was a goodman:>((1) system 3,370. 10 yr parts and 1 yr labor  Lastly,  bid was a  comfort maker 2 x 2-ton $2600 each for total of $5200 for replacing both no warranty This is his bid:

First floor Install 1(one) 2.0 ton 13 seer Lennox R410A heatpump system with a 7kw heatstrip. 1(one) Lennox digital thermostat.

____(Two thousand five hundred) ______________________________________________$2,500.00

2nd and 3rd floor:

Install 1(one) 2.5 ton 13 seer Lennox R410A heatpump system with a 7kw heatstrip.

1(one) Lennox digital thermostat.

___(Three thousand seven hundred) ____________________________________________$3,700.00 Two system total price:

_____(Six thousand) _________________________________________________________$6,000.00

Option: 2

___14 seer ___(Six thousand five hundred) _______________________________________$6,500.00

Option: 3  

TAX CREDIT

___(Seven thousand five hundred) _____________________________________________$7,500.00

Option: 3 DEHUMIDIFICATION PACKAGE

___(Eight hundred) __________________________________________________________$800.00

Scope of work:

Delete existing platform in second floor and hang Air handler. Removal and disposal of old equipment.

Flush and clean existing refrigerant copper linesets. Flush and clean existing condensate drain lines.

Installation and full system start up of new equipment. Warranty:      1 year labor, 10 year parts and 10 compressor warranties.

Payment type:   Due up on completion A monthly service charge in the amount of 1.8% will be assessed in the event payment is not received in accordance with this contract. Hawaiian Air Florida Inc. will exercise its rights to collect any unpaid balances under the fullest extent of the law. Buyer agrees to pay all fees, filling cost and court cost and all attorney costs and other fees incurred or involved in such action. Any change orders will be executed only upon written notice. Hawaiian Air Florida will not accept responsibility for any delays beyond our control.          Respectfully Submitted by_______________________________

Eddie Gonzalez Hawaiian Air Florida(mirimar beach) F          we appreciate the opportunity to furnish a bid                    Acceptance: The above prices, specifications and condition terms are hereby accepted. You authorize to do the work as specified .Payment will be made in accordance with your terms as listed above.

Date: ____________________ Authorizing authority: ___________________________________.

ANSWER:   I cannot go through your bids with you and I also do not do private help.  I volunteer my time to help as many aqs possible.  The one Thing I would caution you on is the use of the existing line sets.  The oils that the 2 refrigerants use are not compatable with each other and no amount of flushing will remove all the oil residue.  Not matter what they say, this will shorten the life of your new equipment

Are you saying then that we need to have new line sets and if so what is an average cost for that?  Also what do you truly think of Lennox? Thanks
Bayne

Postby Roderick » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:41 am

D,  Truthfully Lennox is a little over priced compared to Trane equipment, but as a rule is some of the better built out there. They had a couple products in the past that were disasters, but all  the current stuff is good quality and pretty reliable.  If you are spending that much money, I really would seek out a Trane dealer.  Yes, The only correct way to change from R22 to R410a is to replace the line sets.  Cost depends on the area, really.  As I stated, there will be some oil residue(its oil) and no amount of flushing will remove it all.  Then add the flushing agents they use and you end up with both oil molecules that do not mix and with molecules that are not R410a.  The reason this is important is that as the refrigerant cycles through the compressor, it is compressed and heats up tremendously and the pressure is increased as well, making the chamber in the compressor basically a chemical cooker.  This will result in re-arranging of molecules(The R410a is engineered to handle this) and water sludge and even acid can be made in the process.  Although it will be small amounts, it on the thousands of cycles, will eat at motor windings and go through the compression cycle over and over again, resulting in degration of the compressor motor windings and shortening the life of the compressor.  As, you know, from probably loosing a compressor on your Rheem/Ruud equipment, that is the most expensive part of your system.
Roderick

Return to Labor Laws